Female button quail changing color?

Griffin Nest

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 7, 2010
I've had my female Wild Type button quail for a little over 4 years, and recently her feathers have been turning into a very dark/blackish color, where she used to be light brown spotted with darker brown.

For 4 years I've been feeding her Game Bird Layer Crumble, scattered finch/canary seed, oystershell/grit mix, crickets, and mealworms, but this change only happened recently, and she suddenly stopped laying eggs. What is wrong?

did her color change after a molt? It is about that time of year and they stop laying then too. Other then that all I can think is she is getting old and might be slowing down in production of her coloring just we do when we get grey hair. I have a male that is over 4 and his colors have not changed but then he still mates like hes still a young stud! lol Is the hen acting fine or is she displaying some thing else? Photo maybe?
It sounds like she is getting good nutrition so I don't think its that. I would blame it on the weather changing/ season change. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom