incubator spiking

funsized72

Songster
6 Years
Jul 19, 2014
SF bay area CA
I got a hova bator 1602n and its been working really well but in the past two days i saw it at 107 and 105 like 2 or 3 times.Did I kill them? Is this just the chicks growing and creating heat or do i have a problem? This is my first time hatching and im scared.
fl.gif
Oh and its day 13 so lockdown is tomorrow.Yay! thank you in advance.

Last edited:
105 and 107 are deadly. I had it happen once with a sportsman incubator had over 100 plus eggs killed everthing except the eggs that were on the very bottom tray. So hopefully you have some hatch if those temps didn't last to long
fl.gif

Use a new thermometer to check the temp (always use two, sometimes they fail). The thermostat wafer may have failed, how old is it?

Let the eggs run the course just because the bator got hot doesn't mean it heated the eggs to that temperature. The embryo will die after sustaining 103 or higher for long periods of time but again you don't know that the embryo got that hot or not.

i have 2 thermometers the wafer and a cooking thermometer. The wafer i know is 3 degrees hotter and the cooking therm should be correct. Im just going to wait until day 20 if any hatch. Still have hope, just a little though. The day it was 107 I was at school for 6 hours so i dont know how long it was at that temp. Also If the temp rose that much was the incubator spiking or the egg developing and making the incubator get hotter? And Yay I just finished my first week of highschool!

They may get a bit warmer as the chick is getting big enough to have some registerable heat output. But 106 and 107? That's warmer than the bird that's supposed to sit on them.

I've noticed that when my eggs are about to hatch my incubator will jump from 99.5 to 100.5, but nothing above that.

No problem. First time stuff happens. There is a learning curve. I find myself asking questions that some others may think obvious as well.

Back
Top Bottom