Is it almost time for eggs???

Maria Luna

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 30, 2014
Hi there,
I'm not sure if we ended up with roosters but I'm hopeful at least one of the chickens we have will
gift us with eggs ... We received them supposedly 6 weeks in May so we're assuming they should be
almost ready to lay ... we bought a nesting box already and need to put it in the coop. Here are some
reference photos and appreciate all the help and guidance from this lovely community :) Thank you xoox

All of your birds are pullets, and judging by their comb/wattle development, they are getting closer to laying. the bird in the first photo is probably the closest, since she has the brightest face, "fullest" look, and most comb/wattle development. The others probably aren't far behind, though. I'm guessing that they will begin laying in the next 1-4 weeks. Good luck!

Oh my that's great news ~ Thank you - so she isn't a Rooster - YAY!!! :)
I'll be putting the nesting box in the coop tomorrow.
Have a awesome and safe Labor Day weekend.

Signs that egg laying are on the way:

Combs/wattles/face getting red
Squatting
Practicing Egg Song
Pelvic bones widening
Tail feathers starting to get more upright
Spending time in the nesting boxes

Roughly in that order. In my chickens that sequence of events took about 2-3 weeks.
Our first layer started scratching around in the nest box, making nests, and covering herself with shavings. It was about 3 days later we had our first egg.

I was kind of surprised how differently they matured though. It took almost a month between our first hen to lay to our 4th. Same breed hatched from the same clutch.

Back
Top Bottom