Happy Friday! Coo Coo Cachoo!

AZchknmama

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
Tempe, AZ
Hello and good evening to all you lovely chicken lovers! I'm so happy to be a part of the BYC forum finally. I come here quite often for advice and knowledge... i have 6 hens and one roo... not sure yet how to post pics... workin on it! I just started collecting the rare birds though. So much fun! looking forward to sharing stories and pics with all of you lovely peeps! ;)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

I have 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 1 golden laced Wyandotte, 1 blue silkie, 1 white frizzle, 2 blue splash polish and 1 blue splash polish frizzle roo.
I would really like one more- to even it out - i guess that's my excuse to get one more. lol.. I want a buff Cochin. I adore them!

I have 1 silver laced Wyandotte, 1 golden laced Wyandotte, 1 blue silkie, 1 white frizzle, 2 blue splash polish and 1 blue splash polish frizzle roo.
I would really like one more- to even it out - i guess that's my excuse to get one more. lol.. I want a buff Cochin. I adore them!

You have a nice mixed flock. I hope you can get a Buff Cochin. I used to have some and they were beautiful, friendly and gentle giants, and good brooders and mothers. Just be careful not to fall victim to chicken math. Very few BYC members are immune to it. :eek:)

You have a nice mixed flock.  I hope you can get a Buff Cochin.  I used to have some and they were beautiful, friendly and gentle giants, and good brooders and mothers.  Just be careful not to fall victim to chicken math.  Very few BYC members are immune to it.  :eek:)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Chicken math is something like this...you start with 4 chickens. But pretty soon you have 10 in your flock. Then a few weeks later, now you have 25! 2+7=15! (in other words, you are addicted to chickens!!) Here is a fun thread on chicken math....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/678858/explaining-chicken-math

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

LOL it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one addicted to chickens :) I love having backyard chickens! I started with 3 about 2 years ago. The 2 Wyandottes we have now were brought home with a black Austrolorp. Sadly, we lost her in June
sad.png
The summer's are extremely hot here in AZ and as you know I'm sure, heat & stress don't mix well for chickens. We were moving and suddenly she collapsed and had a heat stroke.. was very sad. The Wyandottes are still very healthy and beautiful, however their laying has decreased quite a bit. Is that mainly b/c it's summer time or their age? Both I assume.
I've become very conscious in keeping the flock cool and hydrated now. They are very spoiled!

After losing one, I started becoming interested in the rare breeds and reading forums to gain knowledge on which to bring home next. The Wyandottes names are Henna and Silvermist- (my daughters named them) They are not so happy about our new arrivals. I assume it's b/c they are all much smaller? My 3 polish are about 11 weeks and my Silkie and Frizzle are about 9 weeks. I have the pullets separated in their own coop for now and in the evening I let them all out to free range in the grass. My older girls do fine with them when distracted with treats, but if left alone they go straight to pecking at them. This will go away as the chicks grow larger I hope!?? One of my polish girls also pecks at the little Silkie too! I'm still trying to figure out this pecking order. Is it based mainly on size?
Do you think bringing a Buff Cochin to the flock is a bad idea b/c of their size or do you think it will be ok? I really want one, but I want to make the best decision because this is my last one. LOL. If so, I may just get one more Silkie partridge or red.

That's my long chicken math story. Thank you for your time and any advice!
big_smile.png

Thank you BantamLover21! I asked a cpl of questions in my earlier post so I copied and pasted it for you. Thank so much!
.. It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one addicted to chickens :) I love having backyard chickens! I started with 3 about 2 years ago. The 2 Wyandottes we have now were brought home with a black Austrolorp. Sadly, we lost her in June
sad.png
The summer's are extremely hot here in AZ and as you know I'm sure, heat & stress don't mix well for chickens. We were moving and suddenly she collapsed and had a heat stroke.. was very sad. The Wyandottes are still very healthy and beautiful, however their laying has decreased quite a bit. Is that mainly b/c it's summer time or their age? Both I assume.
I've become very conscious in keeping the flock cool and hydrated now. They are very spoiled!

After losing one, I started becoming interested in the rare breeds and reading forums to gain knowledge on which to bring home next. The Wyandottes names are Henna and Silvermist- (my daughters named them) They are not so happy about our new arrivals. I assume it's b/c they are all much smaller? My 3 polish are about 11 weeks and my Silkie and Frizzle are about 9 weeks. I have the pullets separated in their own coop for now and in the evening I let them all out to free range in the grass. My older girls do fine with them when distracted with treats, but if left alone they go straight to pecking at them. This will go away as the chicks grow larger I hope!?? One of my polish girls also pecks at the little Silkie too! I'm still trying to figure out this pecking order. Is it based mainly on size?
Do you think bringing a Buff Cochin to the flock is a bad idea b/c of their size or do you think it will be ok? I really want one, but I want to make the best decision because this is my last one. LOL. If so, I may just get one more Silkie partridge or red.

That's my long chicken math story. Thank you for your time and any advice!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom