Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No, I don't.

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Hi everyone! I just want to get an idea of how many people clip and don't clip their chickens' wings. When my chicks get older, I really want to free range them around my backyard, but the fences are very low and there are lots of trees. My neighbors would be VERY upset if they found a chicken in their yard the next morning. Please answer the poll, and write a comment about what you think about clipping chicken wings, how you do it, and how often you do it.

Thanks

Me

The only reason I don't clip chicken wings is because I'd DQ'd in show.

These are the only birds that can have their wings clipped/ Pinnioned according to the Standard

Mallard
Muscovy
East Indie
Call
Egyptian
Canadian

The only time I do is to try to encourage molting to improve the wing feathers (Those dang mice don't leave my birds alone) I also clip my Parakeets wings but that's for safety. In chickens you should only clip one. The reason why people say clip both is for birds that can actually fly really well. They can still get airborne and hurt themselves because they are imbalanced now.

Last edited:
I don't clip their wings as there is no need to yet. They seem content to stay within the "game fencing" that surrounds my property. I think clipping their wings would reduce their ability to evade a predator, but I'm not sure if that's really true. Next year I will have to fence off the vegetable garden. If they manage to fly over my 4-foot fencing to get in then I may have to reconsider my position.

With a predator thing that's a debate in itself because if the chicken escapes out of it's secure pen how does it protect itself from a predator out there? There are many ways to make a system to protect chickens inside their pens but if they are not causing any issues for you it's not something you have to do.

I don't clip my chicken's wings- they do occasionally fly over the fence when they're out free ranging. If a predator would happen to show up while they're out of the coop, I prefer that they have the best chances of getting away with both wings unclipped.

Thanks. I'm still debating if I should do it. They would only be free ranging when I am home. There are racoons, squirrels, skunks, hawks, and coyotes here, but they only come out at night, and the chicken's coop is very secure.

I'm not planning on showing my birds, but I don't want to stop them from protecting themselves:)

I clip both wings when doing it to be effective. OP, owing to you situation with neighbors, a more confining approach likely to be ideal such as a covered run or mobile chicken tractor. If you have problems many people have with wing clipping owing to improper technique or have a perimeter fence that is too low even with proper clipping, then you will have neighbor as well.

Back
Top Bottom