Day 22, nothing. What now?

avocado

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
UK
22 days into a chicken hatch. Humidity is at 65%, normal temp. 8 live and kicking babies left it there at lockdown.

Seen majority rocking and jerking about since day 18. Not seen some of them moving but of course I don't sit there all day watching the incubator (I would like to though :)) so don't know if they have moved when I've not been there.

My question is, we are on day 22. I know the can of course be overdue, but I thought a pip at now at least! Can you tell me what the steps are over the next few days if nothing happens?

Thanks

I would try not to panic and be patient I know it's hard but 21 days is only a guide nothing set in stone with hatching. I would leave them until at least 25 if you are having no progress. I would think they are probably resting before they start the external pip. It's good that you have seen movement that's them getting in to position and doing the internal pip. The very best of look with your hatch.:fl

It is Sunday and day 23 of my hatch I will watch this thread closely as my eggs are unhatched and it looks like one pipping but yellow crust is formed on the crack. I Will stay patient and hopefully they will do their thing. Please keep advice coming thanks

Absolutely. Just keep the eggs in the incubator for as long as possible; I've heard of lots of people who's chicken eggs have hatched at day 33! I wish you the best of luck and patience is a virtue
wink.png

And illbuildacoop: I am in the same position but with georgia giant bobwhites! Day 23- 1 small pip and some selective chirping (only when I'm asleep though, but I still can hear them!) but so far I haven't SEEN any movement but they could just be shy when I'm around (hence-selective chirping) Anyway, good luck to all keep us posted on the progress!!!
pop.gif
fl.gif

My last 2 hatches have been late (even though I raised the temp in my incubator on the second one). The first batch of eggs made it out on day 25. The second hatched days 23-24.
If your eggs hatch, take note of what day they came out and what your temp was during incubation and raise it a bit for the next go round.

Good luck. :fl for your eggs!

I went out this afternoon and one has pipped! Others still rocking. Waiting patiently!

Also remember which day you started incubation. Many people start with 1 and in reality it's the next day of incubation that 1 day has past. Easy way to keep track is if you set them on a given day (let's say Sunday) then 21 days later is on that same week day (example was a Sunday).

Back
Top Bottom