Every coop and run needs a COMPOST BIN.... Here's mine....

DaveOmak

Songster
6 Years
May 18, 2013
Omak, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
After reading about Compost Bin designs..... The overall consensus was.... A minimum of 36" diameter was suggested... this has a diameter of 3.8 feet...

2x4x36"x14 gauge wire fencing, 12 ' long... Overlap the ends and tie with electric fence wire... Drive 4' rebar around the cage... tie the cage to the rebar...

Used Weed fabric, I had left from the garden, draped over the wire to hold stuff in.... It should allow for air into the pile also... Secure the top of the fabric to the wire... I used some hog rings in places.... Fabric only as tall as the wire...

After cutting alfalfa and baling it, I used my bagging mower to pick up what is left over in the field, and save it in apple bins... makes great garden mulch and now it will be added, in layers, to the compost bin..
Threw some in the bottom of the bin to get started..... Next in goes 3 weeks of poop I stored while waiting to get this project thought out and done... and finally another layer of chopped alfalfa....

I'm planning on adding a pipe w/holes in the middle of the pile to allow for more air.... someday... soon maybe......
Thanks for looking.....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom