Hello from SoCal

girliemomca

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Hello,
I have been lurking for quite some time on this site. Lol
I am a home school mom of 4 and live in southern California.
I have had chickens for about 2 years now, so I am quite new at this. I started with hens from my in-laws. We lost a couple to coyotes, one to a raccoon, and a couple to old age.
I just added 5 more chicks to my flock. We have a total of 7 chickens. We lost a hen yesterday, and I think it may have been due to coccidiosis, but what do I know? Lol. After some research on this site, I started adding garlic to my flock's food.
We try to eat healthy and mostly organic in our house and to treat everything naturally as much as possible. I would like to do the same with my flock.
Thanks so much to all of you veteran chicken lovers who post on here. Your information and willingness to help is much appreciated.
Blessings,
Gina

what symptoms did your chick exhibit before it passed away? Was blood in the stools one of them? If it was coccidiosis the others will probably be exhibiting symptoms too, they would need to be treated before you lose any more.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Gina. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you lost some of your hens. It's always sad to lose some of our flock. My wife and I homeschooled our children as well, and now my daughter is following in our steps with my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar). Raising chickens is a great experience for children. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Alright Gina,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

So sorry to read about your losses so I am wondering about the cage you keep them in or do they just free range day and night ....... ?????
wink.png

One of our missing pullets produced these guys this weekend
so more beaks to feed now
jumpy.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about the hen you lost.
hugs.gif

Good luck with the rest of your flock and welcome to ours!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses.
hugs.gif
Hopefully, the rest of your flock remains healthy!

Feel free to ask any questions that you have! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry for the loss of your birds, and good luck with the others!

Hello all,
Thanks for all your condolences.
I have a coop that will fit 7 hens, and they free range in my backyard from about 7:30am to dusk, when they go in the coop on their own.
Pocahontas, the hen that died this week, behaved the same way this week as she did about a year ago. A year ago, she could hardly walk and was very slow. She stayed in one spot all day all hunched and her bottom was dirty- I had to wash her a lot. She recovered and started laying eggs again. Recently, she started behaving the same way, but not severe as the last time. I thought maybe she was upset at the introduction of the new chicks to the yard. However, within a few days she died. I never saw blood in her stool, but she did have diarrhea. Any ideas?
Thanks for your concern,
Gina

Back
Top Bottom