Space Requirements for Broilers

Silver Silkie

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 10, 2013
Fredericksburg, TX, USA
Hi there! I plan to raise fifty broilers with my brother for a 4-H project. We plan to build a 12 x 6 coop for them. We'll be showing them at the county stock show after they are 6-8 weeks old. Is this enough room? Should we build the coop larger?
Thank you in advance.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do think you need more space. If you plan to let them free range during the day, you might get by with such a small coop. If you are keeping them in that area all the time, they will be way too cramped. To visualize, tape a square on the floor that is 17 inches on all sides. That is all the space each chicken will have to move around. Also, these birds poop a lot. It will be a big mess in a small coop like that. Ideally, you want 4 square feet per bird. Maybe trying 25 broilers instead of 50 would be a good solution instead of building a bigger coop.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do think you need more space. If you plan to let them free range during the day, you might get by with such a small coop. If you are keeping them in that area all the time, they will be way too cramped. To visualize, tape a square on the floor that is 17 inches on all sides. That is all the space each chicken will have to move around. Also, these birds poop a lot. It will be a big mess in a small coop like that. Ideally, you want 4 square feet per bird. Maybe trying 25 broilers instead of 50 would be a good solution instead of building a bigger coop.

I kept twenty-five last year, but that was because I was the only one doing the project. This year my brother wishes to join me in the project, but our county 4--H requires a minimum of 25 broilers per member who wishes to participate in the project, so I'll probably end up building bigger or building two coops. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom