The one that called them "Dumb Animals, IS the Dumb Animal"

This just Ducks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 4, 2014
One of our little girls, (Swedish Blacks), has given us quite a scare. She started limping, just a bit, then progressively getting worse. So...off to Carma our Vet. Bless this wonderful woman, Carma looked over our little Ester bill to tail to feet, found nothing visible. Off to X-ray which revealed a small fracture, not all the way thru, in Ester's left leg. Also it appears to be on the mend already but to help with the pain and inflammation she put her on a low dose of Metacam. All of this is to preface this;
Everyone should have the opportunity to watch REALLY watch animals and how wonderful they truly are. Ester and her 3 sisters are inseparable anyway but when she started to struggle to keep up with them, they just stopped, sat down and let her rest. They laid in our grass for over an hour with her then slowly worked back to their pool. Their house and pool are elevated so they go up a ramp to get to both, pool sits off their veranda. They went slow and I swear appeared to help her up the ramp too. She got in the pool and just floated to give her tired little leg a rest. While she floated her sisters preened and preened on her and when she wanted out, normally no issue at all, her sisters nudged her up onto their veranda. My wife and I sat like two "star struck kids" and watched this whole play unfold before us. They all just sat on their porch, normally they would be all over our 1/3 acre back yard times fold. Instead Petunia, Jazzy and Daisy all seem to know that their sister is not up to it and needs some time to slow down and get better. They won't leave her behind so they keep her company and look after her. Hell, even our two dogs know something is not quite right. They keep going over sitting down and looking at all of them as if to ask if they can do anything to help.
As my title states, and they have proven, Only a Dumb Animal would call then a Dumb Animal.

One of our little girls, (Swedish Blacks), has given us quite a scare. She started limping, just a bit, then progressively getting worse. So...off to Carma our Vet. Bless this wonderful woman, Carma looked over our little Ester bill to tail to feet, found nothing visible. Off to X-ray which revealed a small fracture, not all the way thru, in Ester's left leg. Also it appears to be on the mend already but to help with the pain and inflammation she put her on a low dose of Metacam. All of this is to preface this;
Everyone should have the opportunity to watch REALLY watch animals and how wonderful they truly are. Ester and her 3 sisters are inseparable anyway but when she started to struggle to keep up with them, they just stopped, sat down and let her rest. They laid in our grass for over an hour with her then slowly worked back to their pool. Their house and pool are elevated so they go up a ramp to get to both, pool sits off their veranda. They went slow and I swear appeared to help her up the ramp too. She got in the pool and just floated to give her tired little leg a rest. While she floated her sisters preened and preened on her and when she wanted out, normally no issue at all, her sisters nudged her up onto their veranda. My wife and I sat like two "star struck kids" and watched this whole play unfold before us. They all just sat on their porch, normally they would be all over our 1/3 acre back yard times fold. Instead Petunia, Jazzy and Daisy all seem to know that their sister is not up to it and needs some time to slow down and get better. They won't leave her behind so they keep her company and look after her. Hell, even our two dogs know something is not quite right. They keep going over sitting down and looking at all of them as if to ask if they can do anything to help.
As my title states, and they have proven, Only a Dumb Animal would call then a Dumb Animal.
Great news to hear Ester is already on the mend. and it is sweet how they form such strong bonds, we can learn alot from our ducks.....Welcome to BYC
smile.png

Aww, that's such a sweet story, thanks for sharing! I agree, I get miffed when I hear someone call ducks stupid. They're brighter than most people give 'em credit for. Certainly smarter than chickens. :p

Oh, and of course,
welcome-byc.gif
!

Back
Top Bottom