Incubation and shipping.

Bryam

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Hello!
When incubating chicken eggs, is there a different between putting water in the trough under the eggs or placing the water in a small container? I figure if I have the water in a container I will be better able to control the humidity.

A question on shipped eggs. I had bought some eggs on Wednesday, not realizing that it was a long weekend, the eggs were shipped out on Thursday morning and I should receive them on Tuesday. Do you think the eggs will still be viable? That is 6 days, I am not sure what to do or expect from them?

Thanks!

Hi no I don't believe having water under the eggs or in container makes any difference it's the surface area that creates the humidity and not the depth of water. With regards to your shipped eggs I would give them a try I believe fertility may drop after seven days of the egg being laid but it's not unheard of for older eggs to hatch. I would do the shipped egg thing though of leaving them to rest for 24 hours before setting them in the incubator. And when you set put them very upright in the turner or egg cartons and don't turn for the first three days. Hope this helps and alleviates some of your fears good luck with your hatch.:fl. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101. This link has section on shipped eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom