3 strikes your out ~My rooster attacks

CharterChick

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
My Coop
My Coop
He's DONE! He charged at me at attacked 3 times! The last time all I was doing was sweeping my patio! He broke skin on my hand... Guess who going to be dinner tomorrow night?

Agree. We've had 3 roosters over the past year that went aggressive when they became mature. 2 bantams and 1 Plymouth Rock. The first time, I told the family he was going to be dinner, my daughter bawled and my son smiled, telling me in a whisper, "Mommy, go get the ax, it's in the garage..." We found another home for him to spare my daughter, but I really wanted to serve him for dinner. Same with the next two. I finally said THATS IT - NO MORE ROOSTERS!!! Which worked for a while, though the kids were disappointed cause they really wanted chicks. WELL... soon after that, the neighbors hens all got eaten by something in the night, so we took on the rooster (only one left) out of pity (our coop/run/location is more secure). He's doing fine (knock on wood) - not a single ounce of aggressiveness (knock on wood) - and we've had him for 2 months (knock on wood). We think he's a black copper marans, but not sure... also have no idea how old he is. Maybe he's glad he has a new flock, that we saved him from the bloodbath, or he's got PTSD... no matter, we're enjoying not being attacked!!!

... and I should've started with - sorry you were attacked. Our Barred Plymouth Rock attacked me, broke the skin on my hand - that was sore for a while. It's jarring when they attack you - I kinda had my feelings hurt - after all, we've worked so hard to give them a good home... Good luck with dealing with the culprit. It's not fun to cull.

Thank you! I'm killing this one before it attacks my kid. She was the same as your son and asked if we could eat him tonight. She was only disappointed that it has to set for a few days lol I don't mind killing them if it's for food!

Aw poor roo
I couldn't kill or eat mine
I'm lucky I'm retired so can spent lots of time with them
Plus retired teacher end so it would be behaviour therapy
If one got vicious

When friends, other family members, and most especially children are involved, the rooster needs to be polite or gone. Short people (children) can loose eyes and be scarred for life; not acceptable! Mary

Ours are gone too. We had three - and there wasn't any rehabilitating them. We processed 2 of them first, Floyd and Charlie - because the third one was low man and he behaved himself very well he got a reprieve. Well, once too often Speckles bit the hand that fed him. Attacks from the rear are no fun! My grandchildren take care of the chickens when my husband Ken and I have to leave town for a few days and they love doing it. They do a super job, too! I have another granddaughter (who just turned three today, Happy Birthday Kendra!) who couldn't defend herself or even run away if she was faced with him coming at her for any reason. She has Spina Bifida and has been in a wheelchair since she was 9 months old. Let me see - Kendra, Katie and Evan on one hand, and poor, poor Speckles on the other - who wins? Not even a question. I'm retired too, and so is Ken.....but we both agreed that there are no extra chances when it comes to our little ones. We could work and work with aggressive roosters and maybe even be successful, but how do we ever trust them again? What might set them off and bring out those unwanted tendencies that we thought we'd eliminated? I can find roosters on Craig's List or right here on BYC who need homes. I've never found replacement grandchildren listed.

Aw poor roo
I couldn't kill or eat mine
I'm lucky I'm retired so can spent lots of time with them
Plus retired teacher end so it would be behaviour therapy
If one got vicious

I technically don't work. It's just the tree farm, the boat, the short person and the animals. I was given this rooster already grown, 3 inch spurs and all! He never has warmed up to me like the hens have and the aggression has escalated. Plus I have at least 8 rooster chicks that are 8 weeks old and a Barred Rock Rooster (who was estimated to be 4 months) that the local feed store sold me for $5. I was going to eat him but he is very nice and handsome
love.gif
even with all 18 baby chicks! So i'll give him a chance for a while. With my 8 year old daughter we don't tolerate any animal being aggressive toward people. Besides we raise them for meat/eggs here :)
I can find roosters on Craig's List or right here on BYC who need homes. I've never found replacement grandchildren listed.
EXACTLY! If my daughter got hurt I'd never forgive myself!

I agree the children need to be your priority
Plus you want to enjoy your chickens not be scared to turn your back on them
I can imagine a spur injury could be really bad

I think if you haven't raised them from an egg there can be less attachment, but I'm sure chickens behaviour can change
As my two cuckoo maran hens got older they became less affectionate and cuddly but a few weeks ago they got ill
And with ALOT of tlc( had them sleeping in the house with me, me on the sofa them in boxes in the lounge)
And meds from the vet they recovered well, but they have become very affectionate again

Back
Top Bottom