New member from chicago

kreeper

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Chicago
Hello al,
Im Chris from Chicago and am a new member here, just a brief question is this a chicken or a rooster?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Your bird is a Red Sex-link pullet for sure. Red Sex-link roosters have a much different color.

Feel free to ask any other questions you have! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Some birds do honk. Each has their own sounds they make. Looks like a pullet to me.

I hope you start to get those eggs soon!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I agree, your bird looks like a Red Sex-Link pullet. She'll lay lots of nice large eggs for you!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You definitely have a Red Sex Link pullet. She will be an egg laying machine. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting those eggs.

Thanks michael, i already have 4 egg layers, how can i get them to accept this one they all want to fight with her? I also have a bantam rooster and hen with the others, they also dont like this new one

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! With adding to your flock, it is best to have a long period of the two groups being able to see each other but no touching, through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. After a week or two, letting them free range together supervised is a good idea and should help... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
Do you have more pictures of the bird or know how old is it? It is colored like a RSL pullet but some of those feathers are weird.

Back
Top Bottom