FabulousFowl

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Hi, i have just joined and am needing a bit of info on my quail
frow.gif
The questions start........

How much food do they eat?

where do they live?( mine live in a small cage now)

do they need constint heet?

And i think thats about it....... but there might be more
hu.gif

i just got them today and as soon as i put them in their cage my male started mating them, so i'm hoping to get some eggs soon. my three babies nanes are, Basil, Butterfly, and Baily. Basil and Butterfly were with three other quail and Baily was on her own because her had a bleeding head, she is still missing some fethers and has a few scabs on her head but for me she stood apart from all the others. the moment i saw her i wanted her even if she was at the end of her laying, but thankfully she has just started as there were eggs in her cage!!!!
ya.gif
love.gif

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congrats on your quail! What breed are they....Coturnix? Watch the one with the missing feathers and scabs as the others can pick on this wound and nearly kill her. So if you have any ointments you can put on her wounds or even some blu-kote to hide the wound. You can get this at the feed store. And because it is on her head, you can spray it into a small plastic or ceramic bowl and apply it with a q-tip. Birds can be very mean when there are wounds on another bird. And if the male mates her, she may get this wound opened up. So be very careful if you see her with any blood. Remover her from the others, but keep her in the same cage. (section it off so she is by herself but with them till she heals. Do not remove her from sight of them)

Quail need to free feed....so keep gamebird food in a feeder at all times. Water too. They need about 2 square foot per bird. You can keep them in a cage, but make sure to give them places to get off the wire to rest their feet. I keep my quail in an aviary style set up with grass hay for litter. You can also use bedding in your cages. Wood shavings or grass hay works really well. If you do keep them in a cage or rabbit hutch, put some cut branches or even some fake christmas tree foliage in there for some cover. Quail love to hide under brush as they do in the wild. They don't like to be exposed.

Give them a pan of sand or dirt to dust bath. They need to bathe daily to keep the mites and bugs off of them.

Make SURE to keep them in an area that is predator proof. Make sure nothing can reach up through the floor, wire or anyplace and eat them at night. Predators will smell your quail for miles off and come looking for a meal at night. So be careful.

They only need heat if they are babies. How old are they? After they are fully feathered, they will rarely if ever need heat. They can survive some brutally cold temps as long as they have a place to get out of the snow, wind, and rain.

Good luck with your birds! And welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

TwoCrows gave you excellent advice. I would also be sure to post your questions on the quail section of the forums.

Good luck with your quail!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

X3 on TwoCrow's advice. Good luck with the quail! I've never kept any myself, but once helped take care of some before, and they were quite cute!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but they sure are cute little birds. Definitely post on our Quail section and take advantage of our quail experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your quail.

Back
Top Bottom