Dieing birds with no vet.

retlaw

Songster
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
Why does my flock always get sick on a long weekend when there is not a vet in site?

This morning I went to water and feed and found a dead turkey.
Its head was on the red side of colour.

And another alive but breathing very heavy with foam coming out of its mouth and its eyes shut.
The other 25 look ok in that flock and the other flock which is housed in a different run looks fine also.

I called the local vet and they are gone for the weekend.
Called the cell phone and no response.
I called the next town and the vet is gone for the weekend.
I called the big city 2 hours away and they said that the only thing they can think of from being so far away is that they ate a toxin because of how fast they got sick.

24 hours before they were all fine as far as I could see.
They said separate them and change the food.
I don't think its the food because I have been feeding the same food for a long time.
Rolled oats, cracked corn and heritage turkey pellets.
They are locked in a closed run so I can't see them getting into anything that is toxic.
Last time I fed them anything from the garden was seeded broccoli plants about five days or so before hand.

A month or so before this I found a dead turkey in the same run and its head was on the red colour side also.
I thought that it might have been beaten to death in a fight by a lucky peck to the head.
My friend who got birds from me this spring told me he had one that died the same way.
With a red head and also thought it was killed in a fight.
So I am thing now that it might not have been a fight but something else.

This morning when I picked up the dead one to move it there was a lot of clear liquid coming out of its mouth.

It sucks when you can't do a thing.
The vets are on holidays,
the only pharmacy in town is closed.
the animal feed store is closed.
All I can do is wait until tomorrow morning when the holiday is over.

Does anybody have any idea what is happening here?

Very sorry to read about your birds.:(. Animals always seem to pick the wrong times to be sick I have had it several times with my horse getting sick on a weekend. Sorry I havnt got any input on why yours birds are dying but hope you find out soon and are able to return your flock to good health. Good luck.:fl

Sorry to hear that. Pale red heads, or bright red? Pale and washed out wouldn't be unusual. What did/do droppings look like? Has it rained in the past few days? A gross necroscopy is in order (on both, if the sick one doesn't make it). If it is a long standing disease might well be identified by examination - obvious lesions of organs/trachea, esophagus, etc. would help in Dx. Crop contents?

If you observe anything out of the ordinary please post shots/detailed descriptions. If everything appears `normal', then I'd probably guess toxin. However, that particular run should have soil turned, limed, sprayed with water every week for a month and then dressed with sand (if possible).

Keep a close eye on the healthy turks for any with wings drooping/decrease in normal activity level and separate any such immediately - also keep an eye on the droppings for anything unusual.

Here is a list of the common diseases/conditions with what one might turn up in a necroscopy. http://netvet.wustl.edu/species/birds/aviandis.txt

Last edited:
Thanks.
The other one died also.
I put it on ice.
I have had blackhead before and I am pretty sure it is not that.
No green stools and the other birds stools seem fine .

It has started to rain the last couple days. First rains we had in months.
It has not gone to far in the ground. Surface moisture is about it.
Its been a very dry hot summer.
I am aware of the rain and the parasite issue with the worms.

The red seemed overly red for a dead animal.
I know how the red goes washed out when dead.
The last one that just died didn't seem to have the red.

The other birds seem fine. No heads or wings hanging.
They are running around.

Also went through the disease for turkey list and can't find one that jumps out at me for this one.

Thanks.
The other one died also.
I put it on ice.
I have had blackhead before and I am pretty sure it is not that.
No green stools and the other birds stools seem fine .

It has started to rain the last couple days. First rains we had in months.
It has not gone to far in the ground. Surface moisture is about it.
Its been a very dry hot summer.
I am aware of the rain and the parasite issue with the worms.

The red seemed overly red for a dead animal.
I know how the red goes washed out when dead.
The last one that just died didn't seem to have the red.

The other birds seem fine. No heads or wings hanging.
They are running around.

Also went through the disease for turkey list and can't find one that jumps out at me for this one.

Sorry to hear that. I mentioned the rain owing more to the sudden, and often overly refulgent, growth of fungal threats (toxins) that can appear after summer rains (one of the reasons we put down sand in the runs) Spots of scattered, beaked-out feed or corn cobs can look like they're covered with vole fur within 6-12 hours if the temp remains high after rain). Hopeful you can get a definitive Dx on the causal agent.

Hoping for better luck & an answer :fl

Last edited:
Sorry to read about your birds.
sad.png
hit.gif
hugs.gif

Turkenstein25

Waiting for the results from the lab I sent the bird to.
No more have died after the two.
I will post the results when I get them.
Thanks

Pneumonia

There was E.Coli present but the count was low which they said might be if they were eating medicated food but they were not.
Because they were not then it is very questionable if it was E.Coli Pneumonia.

Back
Top Bottom