Duck Bedding

Bailey1204

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
Wisconsin
So my family and I are getting 2-6 ducks in the spring. We have books and know where to buy stuff and we'll be ordering from metzer farms. But we can't find a place that sells poultry litter/bedding in bulk. In fact we can't find any place that sells poultry litter at all. Since chickens and other poultry need bedding I was hoping if you could tell me where you buy your litter. Just please tell where you buy/order poultry litter, it would be a big help.
Thanks!
P.S. We are either going to get straw or cardboard bedding. If you can give me a place for one of those two things that would even more of a help.

I use chopped hay from Agway. It's easier to use because the pieces are smaller than a bale of hay. It comes wrapped in plastic like peat moss. I know some use peat moss. Also, another I hear is wood pellets. I use a mixture in the winter the hay and pellets. Pellets are good for heavy wetness. They can also be expanded with a spray of water and they almost turn to fine wood shavings.

In their day run I use natural wood chips. Some wouldn't recommend them because they could be some sharp pieces but I get them for free and they work well when I do replacements (clean all old much out) and put the used mulch in the compose. It stays drained under foot pretty well. We have a lot of clay in the soil so it doesn't drain real well.

Some use pea stone. You can get that at Home Depot. It's a round kind of polished stone the size of a dime or so. Depends on how large an area you want to do and what's easily available and disposable too that's not going to cost too much. Some just use rocks around the yard that are smooth same concept.

Denise

You can get anything online from Amazon these days!
For our ducklings we used the compressed wood pellets they sell at the feed store as horse bedding. It was the best! Now that they're older we use the pine shavings from Manna Pro as their nesting material. We just order it online from Amazon.

Last edited:
Thanks that really helps I'd totally forgotten about Amazon!
thumbsup.gif

I use wood shavings from TSC. I got a bale of grass hay free off of capitalist and I'm mixing that in with it right now. I'm thinking about mixing pellets with the shavings once I run out of hay. You can buy shavings, hay and pellets at pretty much any feed store.

If they have grass for their flooring, do they still need bedding?
If you have any girls, and want to collect eggs, then they will need a designated nest. This is all I use the bedding for, the coop/nesting box. Otherwise, my girls are just on dirt and gravel in the run. Though they will play with and utilize just about any bedding that gets loose as well.

If you have any girls, and want to collect eggs, then they will need a designated nest. This is all I use the bedding for, the coop/nesting box. Otherwise, my girls are just on dirt and gravel in the run. Though they will play with and utilize just about any bedding that gets loose as well.

Oh ok, thanks. I think Quackers is a girl. Not for certain as of yet, "she's" about 5 weeks old.

I've got a question about bedding for those who use the wood chips. Does anyone have problems with ducklings eating them? Mine are only a week old and it looks like they are nibbling on them. Will it hurt them if they eat some?

Back
Top Bottom