How do you bathe a chicken

There are several threads on bathing chickens in BYC, do a search. Chicken Chick has info as well, the link is: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/02/how-to-give-chicken-bath.html

I thought I needed to bathe one of my BO with poopy butt feathers last winter and searched the subject. I was too afraid to do in cold weather, but thank goodness, she sand bathed it all off on her on!!!
yesss.gif

I put her in the sink hold her down with one hand put the drain plug in with the other and slowly turn the tap on. put some natural with no chemicals in it soup on her (optional if you don't have natural soap) then rub her down with your hands. when you think she's good and clean take her out and kind of rub her down with a towel> then get a clean paper towel and put it under her wings voila you have a clean chicken. If you want her to smell good you can spray some perfume straight up and let it settle on her DONT EVER EVER SPRAY HER DIRECTLY.

I put her in the sink hold her down with one hand put the drain plug in with the other and slowly turn the tap on. put some natural with no chemicals in it soup on her (optional if you don't have natural soap) then rub her down with your hands.
Gotta love those typos! They make for some amusing reading! Thanks. You've brightened my day.

I bathe my chickens (only when needed) like I used to bathe my children when they were small - with Mr. Bubble bath soak. A squirt in a basin of warm water makes a bubble bath that usually doesn't even need rinsing.

If there are any stubborn crusty areas, I use a dab of baby shampoo and massage it in, then splash the water in the basin on it to rinse the suds off.

Blot, never rub, the feathers in a thick bath towel, then let the chicken air dry. In cold weather, I use a blow dryer on them. It takes a half hour to dry a hen on low setting. They all adore being blow dried.

But usually I just do "butt tune-ups". I back the crusty rear up to the basin and splash sudsy water onto the soiled area. Baby shampoo for stubborn crust. Splash water on the area until soil is gone, then blot with a hand towel. Blow dry the butt if it's below freezing out.

Warning: never rub or scrub the feathers. Always be very gentle so you don't damage the feathers or the delicate skin.

Wow ... Thanks. I guess my 2 white hens get a bathe today. My reds and black rooster look fine.

Back
Top Bottom