New to BYC, Been Raising Chickens for About 7 Years... HI!

ChiknLovnGurl

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
Hello,
My name is Shelby. I live on a 10 acre farm in Southern Oregon with 6 chickens, 5 dogs, 4 horses, 2 cats, and 2 ducks. I love animals of all kinds and try to have a holistic approach to raising and caring for them. I feed my dogs and cats raw, homemade food, the ducks and chickens get TONS of table scraps herbs, I always have fresh or dried herbs in the nesting boxes because they smell nice, help the hens lay eggs, act as insecticides and have many other health benefits. I make the chickens and ducks fruit and herb popsicles that they love, all the time.

I would love to see pictures of your pets, chickens, coops, or runs... :)

~Shelby

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to BYC, Shelby. Glad you decided to join our flock. Just be careful regarding the amount of treats you give your chickens. Treats should make up less than 10% of their total diet. Commercial foods are specially formulated to meet their nutritional needs. Too many treats (especially starchy ones) and their lay rate will drop off and they will get fat and unhealthy. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

Hi Shelby! Welcome to BYC! Yesterday when I was trimming back the mints I was wondering what to do with all of it. I have bags & bags already dried for tea. The chickens don't really eat it. So, I was going to throw it in the compost. Now I will dry it and put it in small amounts in their nesting boxes. Great advice! Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Glad you joined! Feel free to ask questions or give advice
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your birds!

Back
Top Bottom