Die off at 4-5 weeks?

Fishman43

Chirping
9 Years
Dec 10, 2010
Durham
I hatched out 28 coturnix, reared them in the brooder for weeks. Slowly raised the heat lamp, lowering the temperature over several weeks. Moved them into a permanent cage, inside the garage for a few days first with no heat lamp, then moved them outside right next to my adult breeding flock. This weekend they have started dying off at just about 5 weeks. So far I have lost 17 of the 28. I don't know what is happening or what I can do to help... Please help me!

As a follow up question to why this is happening (really want to know with anothr ~30 new hatchlings in the brooder). Is there something I can do/put in their water to help them bounceback? A vitamin or supplement or something. Thanks

Treatment?
The two "flocks" are seperate, in different cages both off the ground with ~6" between them.

Having now looked up coccidiosis the symptoms seem to match. Drooping wings, general malaise head/beak resting on the ground, runny stool. I went to TS and picked up Corid on my lunch break, hopefully that helps!

Assuming it is coccidiois then once treated are the birds more tolerant of it going forward? Or does this become a cronic issue?
Do I treat the adult flock at the same time?
If so do I toss the eggs during treatment, or are they safe to eat?
Other than cleaning their pens (on wire bottoms suspended), do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Treatment?
The two "flocks" are seperate, in different cages both off the ground with ~6" between them.

Sorry - just seeing this now - but I see from your latest post you seem to be on the right track. I also just noticed that this is in the "quail" sectin (use the new post feature and forget to look at which forum posts are from sometimes) and I have not personally raised quail so I'd hate to wrongly advise you as far as the further treatment/questions as I am not sure how quail would differ from chickens on this. I do hope someone with quail experience will chime in soon for you.

Having now looked up coccidiosis the symptoms seem to match. Drooping wings, general malaise head/beak resting on the ground, runny stool. I went to TS and picked up Corid on my lunch break, hopefully that helps!

Assuming it is coccidiois then once treated are the birds more tolerant of it going forward? Or does this become a cronic issue?
Do I treat the adult flock at the same time?
If so do I toss the eggs during treatment, or are they safe to eat?
Other than cleaning their pens (on wire bottoms suspended), do I need to do anything else?

Thanks!

Corid is a thiamine blocker, not an antibiotic, so the eggs should be fine. Cocci stays in the ground and is present almost everywhere. Chickens develop an immunity to it and I assume your adult quail flock might have some resistance as well, just keep an eye on them. A through disinfecting of the cages would help as you mentioned. Coccidiosis can also crop up in birds when their immune system gets stressed. Good luck with the recovery of your flock.

Thanks. Is there a recommended sanitation protocol? I was thinking I would put all the birds in temporary housing (cardboard box, etc.) while I got out the propane torch and scorched the entire cage...

Thanks. Is there a recommended sanitation protocol? I was thinking I would put all the birds in temporary housing (cardboard box, etc.) while I got out the propane torch and scorched the entire cage...

That should work, don't forget to disinfect their dishes and waterers too. You can use a bleach solution then rinse really well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom