Culling my first birds and a strange question...

Myhouseisazoo2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 27, 2014
Arizona
I have recently started my own flock unfortunetly many of my birds which I bought as cute few day old puff balls are Roo's. While they are currently not very aggressive they keep mounting my oldest female that is older by almost 6 months (I believe she has stopped laying due to stress as there are about 5 Roos!) I have already decided how I will cull my flock and that I will do it with the help of my twin sister however our youngest sibling whom is 16 and keeping birds in my flock for show (for her FFA school project) is veminant about me telling her I will have to thin the flock of these Roos. I explained the process to her and have already explained that she will not have to help me and Twinnie with this process but she believes that by killen them that I am effectively torturing the birds... Long story short how do I get her to understand that I am not torturing them by killing them?? I apologize if this is on the wrong thread in advance I am still new to back yard chicken and still learning where everything goes.

Ok had my fun with that.
Have you talked to her FFA teacher? One of the things taught in FFA it's the importance if herd/flock balance. If she is going to learn about animal husbandry, processing the animals is part of it, a MAJOR part of it.
Sometimes kids will listen to teachers better than parents. As well, secondary teachers with any experience have 100 interactions to our 1 with teens!! Being an ag teacher, I'm sure he/she has had this very talk before.

Btw..I wouldn't use the "step on their head and pull their legs...then let them flop around in the yard" method. That one is kinda hard to pass off as non-torture to young, kind hearted ladies! Lol

Lol, I gotta agree with chill in with my peeps.
If she doesn't want to understand she won't. :'/ just next time she has a burger or meat item ask her how it was tortured before it got to her plate. Maby it'll make her think twice?.?

Ok had my fun with that.
Have you talked to her FFA teacher? One of the things taught in FFA it's the importance if herd/flock balance. If she is going to learn about animal husbandry, processing the animals is part of it, a MAJOR part of it.
Sometimes kids will listen to teachers better than parents. As well, secondary teachers with any experience have 100 interactions to our 1 with teens!! Being an ag teacher, I'm sure he/she has had this very talk before.

I wish I could say I had faith in the teacher to help me with this but he refused to help any of the kids on the schools landlab last year (they had multiple birds die; some from sabatage some from natural reasons and a sheep that was over fed so much its stomach exploded. This is part of the reason her birds are now at my home instead of there) it got so bad at one point that the "teachers pet" intentionally sabataged another students bird and was caught red handed however the teacher only gave the student a slap on the wrist. He has unfortunetly lost my vote of confidence and any hope of having help with issues like this... I was hoping she would listen to my reasoning as her older sister and a previous FFA student (I have taken my previous years projects to be professionally butchered) I have also tried explained to her that raising and culling our flock is kinder than some of the methods/ways grocery store birds are raised and culled.

Btw..I wouldn't use the "step on their head and pull their legs...then let them flop around in the yard" method. That one is kinda hard to pass off as non-torture to young, kind hearted ladies! Lol

O.O I have never even heard of this method... That sound terrifying... Right up there with the "football toss" cleaning method for rabbits! I was planning on taking an old feed bag and cutting a hole so that they can lay in it while being able to breath and holding their head down then lopping the head off with a sharp ax. Of all the methods I have read up on this one seems to be the one me and my twin can agree on. It also feels (to me) the kindest and fastest way to dispatch of them, I have yet to do it but plan on it within the next week or two.

Lol, I gotta agree with chill in with my peeps.
If she doesn't want to understand she won't. :'/ just next time she has a burger or meat item ask her how it was tortured before it got to her plate. Maby it'll make her think twice?.?

Lol you mean RoosterLew? Silly Twinnie go to bed its too late for u.

Feed her Fried chicken....Lol

A good fix for the Ag Teacher...step on his head and pull his legs!! Sounds worthless to me. Wonder if the FFA has a means to report worthless advisors??

Back
Top Bottom