Do these feathers make me look fat ???

mightymax

Songster
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Central Coast, CA
I have a question about the weight of my geese. I have two Buffs. A goose and a gander. The goose weighs 12.8 pounds and the gander weighs 10.8 pounds. They were both 4 months old as of Sept 5th of this year. Do those weights seem about average, or are they drastically higher (or lower) than the norm? My goose has some pretty robust looking lobes on her when compared to my gander, but I'm thinking that's just an anatomical difference between the sexes, but I'm not sure. No one around here own any geese but me, so I have nothing to compare them to. I've posted some pictures below, so if anybody would like to comment on their weights (or anything else they see that I can do to keep them healthy), I'd appreciate it immensely! Thanks!

GUS (on right) & GABI (on left)

GABI

GUS

I have a question about the weight of my geese. I have two Buffs. A goose and a gander. The goose weighs 12.8 pounds and the gander weighs 10.8 pounds. They were both 4 months old as of Sept 5th of this year. Do those weights seem about average, or are they drastically higher (or lower) than the norm? My goose has some pretty robust looking lobes on her when compared to my gander, but I'm thinking that's just an anatomical difference between the sexes, but I'm not sure. No one around here own any geese but me, so I have nothing to compare them to. I've posted some pictures below, so if anybody would like to comment on their weights (or anything else they see that I can do to keep them healthy), I'd appreciate it immensely! Thanks!

GUS (on right) & GABI (on left)

GABI

GUS
They look great!
Although I am new to Buff I also think they look great
smile.png

@Miss Lydia ...
@flockman ...

Thank You !!!
ya.gif

Thank You Sooo Much !!!
Over the years I've had animals that have, for one reason or another, needed to lose some weight and it's not an easy task. I have a dog that weighs 18 pounds and he should weigh 15, tops (he has big bones
wink.png
). Well, he's been on a 'diet' now for over 4 years and he's still nowhere near his ideal weight of 12 -13 pounds. So I wasn't at all looking forward to the prospect of having to put my geese on a diet too! But thanks to your replies, it appears that I won't have to !!!

Thanks Again !!!
woot.gif

I have Dachshunds who are notorious for getting over weight, but I am so careful with my 3 they have kept good weight for 7 yrs on my one down to 5 yrs on my youngest. But my geese do alot of walking and climbing since we live on the side of a mountain and they have to go up and down a hill to get to their pool and grass so I would think as long as your geese is getting exercise you shouldn't have to worry about them getting over weight, now for the dog [got a tread mill]
wink.png

he has big bones
wink.png
hilarious
lol.png

I am now going to use your geese as a gage as mine are 3 months and I am so hoping my 2 goslings are female and your pics will help me alot as I watch them mature over this next month. Thanks for the great pics.

@Miss Lydia ...
...We've actually considered getting a treadmill !!! Not so much for the chubby one, though. More for our 8 month old Boxer pup who is giving us way more than a 'run for our money', so to speak! I don't think she's sat still for more than a few minutes since we got her. She basically has 3 speeds, Fast, FASTER, and "I'm Sleeping and Can't Be MOVED". I've had lots of dogs over the years, and she is by far the most hyper (we like to call her 'energetic'), but she is also one of the most loving and loyal dogs I've ever had. So I guess it's a trade off.
As for the geese, they free range all day and have a pool and lots of 'toys' and stuff to putt around with and in, so I'm feeling pretty confident now that they'll maintain a healthy weight. I hope you have an easier time sexing your geese than I did mine. At first I couldn't even tell them apart they looked so similar. But now I don't know what all the confusion was about because, to me at least, they're like night and day...lol !!!
Thanks Again for the replies and let me know what your geese end up being (with pics if possible)
big_smile.png
!!!
I'd love to see them

@Miss Lydia ...
...We've actually considered getting a treadmill !!! Not so much for the chubby one, though. More for our 8 month old Boxer pup who is giving us way more than a 'run for our money', so to speak! I don't think she's sat still for more than a few minutes since we got her. She basically has 3 speeds, Fast, FASTER, and "I'm Sleeping and Can't Be MOVED". I've had lots of dogs over the years, and she is by far the most hyper (we like to call her 'energetic'), but she is also one of the most loving and loyal dogs I've ever had. So I guess it's a trade off.
As for the geese, they free range all day and have a pool and lots of 'toys' and stuff to putt around with and in, so I'm feeling pretty confident now that they'll maintain a healthy weight. I hope you have an easier time sexing your geese than I did mine. At first I couldn't even tell them apart they looked so similar. But now I don't know what all the confusion was about because, to me at least, they're like night and day...lol !!!
Thanks Again for the replies and let me know what your geese end up being (with pics if possible)
big_smile.png
!!!
I'd love to see them
I will post pics soon.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom