Hope I'm doing this right ......with shipped eggs.

barnyardmommy

Songster
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
Suffolk VA
I just got 15 shipped cochin frizzle bantam eggs in the mail. I got these eggs off of ebay. I live about 45 minutes from the seller, but he refused to meet me so that I could pick up the eggs, I had to have them shipped... When I got them I candled them and 5 had floating air cells. I waited 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. I have them in a egg carton pointed side down, not laying on their sides. I am not turning them for the first 2 or 3 days. I have 18 bantam mille fleur eggs in another incubator that I went and picked up. they are 2 days ahead of the ebay eggs. I am so worried about the shipped eggs, will I have any that will hatch. I so wish the seller would have let me meet him and pick up the eggs. Two incubators going at 1 time, , what was I thinking.....
celebrate.gif

From what you have described you have done everything you can to give these shipped eggs a chance of hatching. My last batch of eggs through the post I was not confident at all about them they looked horrific and was totally convinced they would not hatch but to my total shock 12 out of 12 hatched. I would hatch them in the egg cartons. Good luck you have done everything you can it's up to them. What a pain the seller not wanting to meet to give you the eggs.:mad:

I've had only bad experiences with shipped eggs, but you have done all that is possible to give them the best chance. That is terrible the seller wouldn't meet you to pick up your eggs! That would've given them such a better chance at hatching. I've heard of some people having great success with shipped eggs though, so it's certainly worth a try! ;)

My last batch of shipped eggs all had some sort of air cell damage ("wobbly", saddle-shaped air cells). Out of the 14 eggs I only got one duckling, and she was an assisted hatch because she was upside down inside the egg (started hatching from wrong end, then couldn't turn to hatch herself). The other two eggs that had made it to the last week of incubation died before pipping. One was also upside down, the other had a deformed bill.

Thanks for the replies... Now I think I'm more worried about the mille fleur eggs at the moment. I know they are only on day 3, but I candled some of them this afternoon and of 10 eggs that were candled only 1 showed any red veining. I think this whole hatch with both of the incubators will be a disappointment . I will not candle these eggs again until about day 10, and just hope for the best..

celebrate.gif
Feeling really good ... Just candled the shipped cochin bantam eggs, they are on day 10. Of the 15 eggs that I started out with, I have 12 very active little wiggles developing. I still have them upright in the egg carton, and I think that I will leave them there thru hatching. Of the 3 eggs that I removed, 1 egg developed a blood ring, and the other 2 never started developing at all. In the other incubator I have 7 mille fleur eggs developing out of the 18 I started with. I think the 1 rooster that was in with the hens must not have been doing his job very well cause 11 of the eggs weren't fertile. Next spring the breeder said he will give me 12 eggs to replace them.
yesss.gif
So everyone keep your fingers crossed for my little ones please.

So pleased to hear you have development in your shipped eggs. Good luck with the egg carton method I would recommend cutting them down so they are quite shallow but still enough to support the egg and also use the cardboard ones. I've just hatched this week in them and had 11/11 that went into lockdown hatch. Wishing you the very best of luck with your hatch :fl

Of the 7 mille fleur eggs, 6 hatched... YEAH.
big_smile.png

I am on day 20 with the shipped eggs. I kept them in the egg carton at lock down. I have 1 chick hatched and 3 more eggs have pipped so far. One of the eggs has the pip on the side, about half way down to the pointed end. The chick is moving so I will just wait and hope for the best
fl.gif

Of the 7 mille fleur eggs, 6 hatched... YEAH.
big_smile.png

I am on day 20 with the shipped eggs. I kept them in the egg carton at lock down. I have 1 chick hatched and 3 more eggs have pipped so far. One of the eggs has the pip on the side, about half way down to the pointed end. The chick is moving so I will just wait and hope for the best
fl.gif

Awsome! Glad to hear the mf chicks hatched! Good luck on the the shipped- sounds like you did everything possible for the best outcome :)

Back
Top Bottom