Broody hen question

Andy Tomberlin

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Charleston S.C
I have a hen who just went broody. She is in a pen with one rooster. I was wondering if I need to take the rooster out , or just leave him in there. Any suggestions ?

I would take the rooster out and give her some space. Is she sitting on eggs? How many? How many days has she been sitting on them? She will eventually become more and more aggressive and may harm your rooster trying to protect the eggs.

Then I would definitely remove the rooster. Good luck! I love my broody barred rock!
love.gif
She is a great Mommy! What kind is yours?

You are very welcome! I also wanted to tell you if this is your 1st broody hen, read up on them. I have had 3 go broody.....well, that I let go broody. Some I discouraged because they decided to go to broody just before winter. At any rate, it went like this:

Broody hen # 1 Australorp That poor hen sat tirelessly on those 6 eggs as I learned about broody hens. Then an egg busted, it contaminated the others. No babies
sad.png

Broody hen # 2 Golden Comet That hen was a quitter. She sat on 6 eggs for 2 weeks and then quit! I could not get her to sit back on them!
But thank goodness for:

Broody hen # 3 Barred Rock She is the best brooder
love.gif
. Out of the 6 eggs that the quitter left, 3 hatched. I gave one baby to a friend and we have 2 left.

That is awesome! So glad for you and your new chicks. It is very cool to watch the mama hen show the chicks to eat, dust bathe, and do all the "chicken things" that they do. The only downfall is that the babies are a bit more wild than the ones we bought from the feed store-because the mama hen protects them and hovers over them for awhile.

The most frustrating night was when our mama hen decided to show them how to roost in a huge maple tree in the backyard at night! It took us forever to get them all down. Good luck and enjoy!

Congrats!
clap.gif
Be sure to spend time with them and handle them every day. If not, they will see you as a threat and never come to you on their own.
Very true. Our cockrell finally came around to liking people once the mama hen and the babies (3 months old) were put into the big flock. The pullet is still wild. Next year I will spend more time with my broody hens and chicks.

Back
Top Bottom