Question about Incubator temp..

Alpha Roo Wolf

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have started my first ever incubation. I've done a lot of homework and chose a Janoel48 as my incubator. It runs well. I did add another temp probe. I have an Incutherm with remote sensor dangling at egg level. Here is my question. I feel as tho both devices are measuring correctly (the unit it self and the incutherm) In order for the remote sensor to read 99.5 I have to turn up the Janoel to 38.1 celcius. The Janoel48 gets all its readings from close to the top of the unit. I realise the fan should be keeping everything about the same. The janoel is at 38.1 with 32%RH.. The probe reads 99.5f with 45%RH.. I am going with the incutherm since it is at egg level. If I set the Janoel at 37.5 the Incutherm would be around 90f. If I add enough water surface to get the Janoel up to 45-50 the incutherm reads about 65-70rh. So I am checking in with the chicken community here to see what you guys think. Am I doing it right?

I am considering adding an additional fan inside to get better circulation.

On a side note.. I have one egg that I set out of that is so thick in the shell that it won't candle like the others. Will this thick egg be an issue at hatching time?

I have set 9 cuckoo marans from my own flock and 15 Light Sussex I got from Ebay. The cuckcoo are harder to candle because of their darkness. It is one of the LS eggs that is so thick that light won't go though. The rest show up easily.

Thoughts?

Still wondering if anyone has information about this. Can the humidity be 47% at egg level and 32% where the bator measures at the top or is the built in hydrometer off. I'm still trusting the Incu-Therm (99.5f 47%RH) at egg level.. Incubator reads 38.0c 32%rh at the top. Is this normal?
I added a regular thermometer to the tray and it agrees with the Incu-Therm for temp.

Hi :welcome Glad you joined the flock. I would trust your incubator. Is it new or second hand? They design them so they spread the air evenly so I personally wouldn't add another fan. Humidity is an average over the entire incubation period as long as your eggs are losing enough weight,moisture and the air cel is growing they should be ok. Good luck with your hatch.:frow

Thanks for the reply..
The incubator is new.. It is a Janoel 48. I made sure I got the real one and not the china knock off.
I have been, and will be tracking weight. I'm at 1 day now. I should wait until day 7 to check weight for the second time, correct?

I noticed that the little Brinsea bator has a setting for cool down to simulate the Hen getting off the eggs to eat and such. Does that matter?
I have keep this batch as close to 99.5 and humidity 45-50% the whole time.
The turner goes thru a cycle every 2 hours. it goes 45 to one side and 45 to the other then stops at 30 degrees. It stops at 3 different posistions 30 left, Stright up and down, and 30 right. Is this how all the auto turners work?

One other question.. 3 of the eggs I had shipped in (which were very well wrapped in bubble wrap and newspaper) were sweaty when unwrapped, and those had detached aircells.. Is the sweatiness due to this and will this effect the hatching? I only went with shipped because i could not find any Light Sussex locally.

I know I am over thinking the whole thing and mother nature has been hatching eggs for thousands of years.. Just curious and having a blast with my current flock. Getting a dozen eggs a day now.

Good that your incubator is new I would trust it. If your eggs are shipped did you let them settle for 24 hours prior to setting? Also I would not turn them for the first three days this gives your air cells more chance to settle. Yeah I candle day7 day14 and day 18 at lockdown. Yeah Brinsea advance have the cool down period I have the octagon 20 advance I have had same hatch rates with and without the cool down. I hatch at 37.5 Celsius ( not sure what that equates to in Fahrenheit ) humidity 45% then at lockdown 65%. Your turner sounds good different models do different things. Mine is on an hour cycle the incubator dosnt really stop moving slowly turning back and forward. Your eggs being sweaty is more likely due to being too warm detached air cells are prob from being thrown around in postal. But I'm afraid that's the risk with shipped eggs. I would hatch the eggs in cut down egg cartons this gives the chicks better chance of pipping in the right place. I would research this though people have different opinions on it I have good results using this method. I'm sure your not over thinking it. It is always better to be prepared. And yes nature will take its course I am off that thinking nowadays what will be will be. I shall be in panic mode over the next fews days lockdown tomorrow for my 10 polish and Wyandotte x eggs. Good luck with eggs and most of all enjoy the experience it is amazing but be warned it's highly addictive :jumpy

I have just finished day one and have had the turner on.. should I unplug it when it stops at veticle for a few days?

Yes I would if you have damaged air cells it gives those eggs better chance but if you only have three would that outweigh what you have in non damaged air cells. Would you be better off doing the turning and risking the three so that incubation conditions are better for your other eggs. With 24 eggs in there I would continue turning and risk the three that are damaged.

Thanks.. I will keep turning and I will go to cut down cartons on lockdown. Seeing as the turner does not actually roll the egg, it is always within 30 degrees of the top. Ill take my chances. Even if I only end up with a couple of roos and 4-5 hens that will let me get going next spring with my own.

Back
Top Bottom