Help! Terrible flea problem

Peony7

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 1, 2011
I have 8 girls and they had fleas a few months ago. I cleaned out the coop, shop vac'd it and everything, and dumped a 4 lbs. of DE all over the place, scattered it about with a sieve in and out of the coop/run. I didn't see fleas on the birds, but they are a hard bunch to catch.
Well, the fleas are back with a vengence. It's been really hot and dry here and my son is responsible for them now so I haven't been out there as much. Did notice little dots on eggs, I've seen those before with mites, but DE usually took care of it.
Went to feed this morning and man, they are everywhere, jumping on me. I don't know how to get rid of them, don't want to bring them into the house or let them find my dog. There were all over my pants!
Can I flea bomb the coop? I locked the girls out today and put a nesting box in the run. I prefer organic methods but will do must about anything to get rid of these fleas.
Any help would be great, Thank you!

The thing that worked best for me when we had a flea problem was carbaryl (sevin dust). Took care of them after a single treatment. Make sure you treat the coop and the birds thoroughly.

Is there concern about collecting/using eggs that have come into contact with the sevin dust?
I bought some today but don't really know how to best treat the chickens and keep them out of the new dust, is that a concern? Can they peck at it?
I also bought some beneficial nematodes to eat the eggs and larva, but that will just treat the run and ground around the coop, not the coop itself.

No. The eggs are laid with a protective "bloom" covering to keep bacteria and other harmful things out, so they'll be quite safe to eat. We have, in the past, dusted the hens and the coop as needed and we had no problems. Even the chicks sleeping under their moms, after the moms got dusted, were fine. One way to thoroughly dust a chicken is to sprinkle some in a bag, then put the chicken in the bag, (with it's head sticking out) and give the bag a bit of a shake. Not too much, just a bit, so the dust can spread around a bit. As for them pecking at it, it's unlikely, but they should be fine. As I said, I've used this product for years on my flock and also on dogs and cats for fleas and we've had no problems.

Back
Top Bottom