To buy.. or not to buy?? Help

Cluk lik a duk

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Rapid City SD
I really need some help please. We are just in the process of building our coop. Should be done this weekend. I went to the Meyer Hatchery site to order some pullets, but just can't afford $75 for the shipping. So I got on craigs list to get some local and I am having some success. But I am totally stumped by this response I received .. Please help me decipher it. I am wanting to get 3 or 4 chickens to keep thru the winter for eggs and then going to get chicks in the spring. But I don't know if these are good or not? ugggg

Here it is:
I have 1 barred rock close to laying age, 1 mottled Houdan close to laying age, and two Crevecoers the same age, all unvaccinated. The rest of my birds are vaccinated for Marek's disease: 1 or 2 Salmon Faverolles approaching point of lay, 3-4 younger mottled houdans that should mature in January. These are all fine birds with conformation faults that make them unsuitable for breeding - I expect their eggs will taste fine. All had a coccidiostat when they were young, have never had signs of coccidiosis or so much as a sniffle.

Are you wanting to know how good the lay rate is with these particular breeds? If so, I can help you with that. Mottled Houdans and Crevecoers are only fair layers. You can expect around two eggs per week per bird (three if you are lucky). Salmon Faverolles are considerably better layers, typically laying four eggs per week.

Are you wanting to know how good the lay rate is with these particular breeds? If so, I can help you with that. Mottled Houdans and Crevecoers are only fair layers. You can expect around two eggs per week per bird (three if you are lucky). Salmon Faverolles are considerably better layers, typically laying four eggs per week.

Michael, thanks for getting back with me. The part that I am concerned about is this.

"
Quote:
Is this nothing to worry about?

Back
Top Bottom