worms and lice, possibly mites

mwash

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 28, 2013
There is a ton of info and I'm a bit confused. I've narrowed it down to valbazen for the worms in my chickens. I had a necropsy done for a chick that died and they had a parasite load and also mite eggs. I see lice on my hens, so the chick from the necropsy probably did not have any lice because it was a chick and the feathers were not developed.
Anyway...I want to use valbazen for the wormer, 1/2cc for large birds, 1/4 for smaller.
I'd like to use something for the lice/mites. Is there something that will work for both lice and mites? I like the idea of the VCO, but it's too cold out now and it won't stay liquid. I'm interested in something like frontline or something topical. The different ivomex, ivermectin and so on...the names confuse me and I can't keep them straight.
And final question...would it be too much to treat for worms, lice and mites all at the same time? I'm thinking if there's one oral and one topical then it should be ok...?
Thank you!

I have 80 chickens total. But this includes about 18 smaller chicks. I was going to use the pillow case dusting method, but would love some recommendations on the most efficient way to dust them. On the can it says to not let it touch your skin, so do I need to wear gloves?
We started this and did 2 chickens and it seemed like it would use a lot of dust. I have 4 cans of the powder but am not sure if it will be enough for all the birds. I also tried the pantyhose method until I realized I should maybe be wearing gloves. :/

Do you have a recommendation for the best way to use the dust? A pillow case? A pantyhose puff ball thing? A martini shaker? I'm not sure how much dust to put on them.
Also, would it be overload if I dusted them and dosed them with valbazen at the same time?
Thank you for your help. You've been most helpful in the past, as well.

I just dusted one that's not feeling well... She also got a *massive* dose of Safeguard, a Corid drench, Baytril and metronidazole. I know of no reason not to dust and worm at the same time.:D

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom