How to Get A Blue Favaucana ???

The blue Favaucanas probably started with a blue or splash Ameraucana male over Faverolles hens, and breeding the pullet offspring back to the Ameraucana to clean up color. Crossing to blue Faverolles would be faster but they are hard to find.

The blue bird pictured on MPC's blue Favaucana is actually a blue Faverolles from the UK.

Last edited:
What happens if you use a lavender Ameraucana roo and have Salmon Faverolles hens? Black?

F2 breed back to blue? Splash? Or Lavender? To clean up gold or red.

I just brought home a beautiful lavender roo. Planning to get some Ameraucana hens as well. What color hen to continue getting lavender? Will splash always breed blue?

Sorry so many questions!!

F2 breed back to blue? Splash? Or Lavender? To clean up gold or red.

I just brought home a beautiful lavender roo. Planning to get some Ameraucana hens as well. What color hen to continue getting lavender? Will splash always breed blue?

Sorry so many questions!!
The answer to your first question will depend on what your end goal is. If you want blue birds you need to breed to blue or splash. If you want lavenders you have to breed to lavender. Cleaning up leakage takes generations.

Splash x black will always give blues.

splash x black = 100% blue
splash x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
splash x splash = 100% splash
blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black

lavender x lavender = 100% lavender
lavender x black = 100% black carrying lavender
lavender x black carrying lavender = 50% lavender, 50% black carrying lavender

It is best to keep lavender and blue separate.

Here are some examples of leakage that can occur in blues. These are blue Faverolles

900x900px-LL-308d9047_13729_102511_81.jpeg

900x900px-LL-cc653f48_13729_101411_20.jpeg

Thank you for your detailed reply. I've been reading like mad and asking other peeps lots of questions.

I asked about lavender because somewhere I read that it dilutes also the red and golds. Favs being black genetic base (think that's what I read) I would hypothesize dilution across the board. Nature has it own plans of course and not just a one gen mating... I get that. But have you seen any lavenders crossed to Faverolles (I'm having a hard time finding any). My thought process leads me to think that lavender would be more reliably bred than blue. Thoughts?

Yes, lavender does dilute red and black. Blue dilutes black only. Lavender is recessive and needs 2 copies of the gene to be visual. Blue is an incomplete dominant and will show with one copy of the gene resulting in blue. Splash birds have 2 copies. The depth of the coloring in blue birds varies widely, from light to almost black. The lavenders I have seen do not vary as widely.

It is tough enough finding good Faverolles, let alone any of the "other" colors. There is only one person I know of who has lavender projects. Here is what they look like

900x900px-LL-4a199e12_lavfavpullet.jpeg

900x900px-LL-996cbb08_lavfavboyprofile.jpeg

compared to blue

900x900px-LL-a12cd5e9_0825141915a1.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes I see what you mean about the feathers.

Here's a pic of the Ameraucana roo I have. His feathers look to me like they could use structural improvement.

Big difference in quality between those 2 birds (blue and lav)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom