Newbie question

sdetwiler333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Warsaw, IN
I am going to the Newbury square Swap meet on Saturday. I am looking to get some started pullets, looking for R.I.Rs Buff Orp's Black Australorps , or Barred Rocks. Definitely want to stay with heritage breeds. So, the question is what would be a fair price to pay, and what should I look for. Thanks.

When you get birds make sure you get birds from trustworthy people. I once bought a bird that ended up giving marek's to my champion silkie who had a weakened immune system. Practice biosecurity when you bring birds home by keeping them separate place for a month or two to see if they have problems. It should be fairly easy to find the birds your looking for but you never know you might find something else.

The only breed on my list that I could find were R.I.R ,so I got a rooster from 1 vendor & three hens from another & I was lucky to find those. I also got 4 young Buckeyes, 4 Isa Browns that are about 1 yr. & laying & 3 Red Rangers that should start laying in another 4-6 wks. All I kept from my original flock was my New Hampshire Rooster. I disinfected the coop that I had put others in a brand new coop, & am starting them all on medicated feed I had 2 Black Sex Links die earlier from cochodosis. So the feed I am giving them now has wormer in it plus vitamin & mineral supplements. I will keep them on that for at least a week & watch their stools & other signs.I was disappointed that I didn't find what I was looking for , however the R.I.R.s are on the American Livestock Breeds Conservansy's priority list for chicken breeds as recovering, & the Buckeyes are listed as threatened. So would like to find a buckeye Rooster , to help keep the breed going. A man makes his plans, but The Lord guides his steps.

Back
Top Bottom