Chicken making crying sound.

albert7777

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 2, 2013
Australia
Hi

I have just separated my 11 month rooster from another 10 month pullet (?) because it has begun crowing extremely loudly. I have put it in a large box in the garage. It is now silent. But now the other chicken is now making loud noises that almost sound like a crow but more like crying. I am pretty sure it is not a crow cause it is going on and on and it is not sharp and high enough plus it sounds really sad.

I am 95% sure it is a pullet as its comb is small, but it also hasn't laid which is very confusing as it has been already 10 months. The first 2 months of its life it was fed badly when I was away and I think that is why.

Why is she (?) making this very distressing call. I really don't want to rehome this chicken as well as it is my last chicken. I will probably buy some adult layers to accompany her if she starts laying.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
It has not made these sounds before and is usually very quiet, although the rooster pecked it sometimes, making it scream.

I am pretty sure it has no respiratory illnesses as I have checked its nostrils and had no symptoms before as well.

Last edited:
By ten months old I would expect most hens to be laying. What breed is she? And are you really certain she IS a she and not a he? Perhaps you could post a picture so we can all get a good look at her?

The distressing call may be just that - a sign of distress at being separated from her 'friend.' A box in the garage is fine temporarily, but it's not a permanent solution. It would not be pleasant for a bird to be isolated like that.

Is there any chance you could you create a separate section within the main coop for one of them? Just fence off a corner or something?

I really hope things settle down for you soon.

Krista

To be honest, I do not know what breed the "pullet" is, but I'll post some pictures soon. It has been 10 months and comb growth is really small plus it has not crowed before.

I sorted out things with the neighbours so I have put the rooster back in the coop. Its wearing a no crow collar thing that seems to be working and it seems fine. The "pullet" isn't "crying" anymore. Now I am just confused why "she" hasn't laid an egg yet :/

Thanks

This is my first time with hens and we have 4 breeds. Started getting eggs at almost 5 months. Ours are 6-1/2 months and I think all are laying now. We have 14 hens and one rooster and get 10-14 eggs per day! Good luck... Post a pic of your "girl" if you can!

Here's some pictures of them. Neither have laid or crowed before. I'm not sure why

Although the second one does look really like a rooster to me, it has never crowed before (10 months) and is now doing the egg cluck song when the other pullet is not doing it and also hasn't laid an egg. Very confused. Please help?

I was going to say the second one looked a bit roo-ish at first glace - it's the massive comb and wattles that's throwing me!

Is there any way you could post a side-on view of them both?

Their tail and feathering is a big part of being able to determine between pullet and cockerel.

Best wishes

Krista

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I too think that the second one is male, it is just the lack of crowing and presence of egg clucking that is confusing me (still no eggs though :/)

I'll try to get the chickens out of the coop and take some clearer pictures.

No problems. I'll keep checking back to see the pics when you put them up.

Try and get a good side shot of both of them if you can, showing the full length of the body including their tails. Then we'll see if we can figure it out for you
big_smile.png

As a side note, my rooster (George) does the egg song after my girls lay an egg - and he is definitely a boy! He can also cluck just like them.

As far as crowing goes, some boys are slow to start and I've even heard of one taking more than a year to find his voice! They will try and trick you at every corner, these chickens!

Krista

Back
Top Bottom