OMG! How I hate MITES with a passion!

CaraStrong

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Alright y'all! I have had chicken's for the last year and a half. I freakin love these guys but for some reason I cannot seem to get rid of mites! We even have scaly leg mites too! Grrrr! I have tried everything and I am really starting to get frustrated with trying to get rid of them. What can I do that will kill those things once and for all? I don't mind doing doing some work but this is getting ridiculous. Also, none of my neighbors are having issues the way that I am. Not sure if it's because I have a field behind the fence of where they are at, but I am for sure sick of this jazz!

Thanks!
Cara'

Last edited:
Hey, I live in Colorado.
It's not plastic, it's insulation. I also have that between the walls. So the coop doesn't get too hot or too cold.

I have had issues with scaly leg mites which I used Vaseline and did that multiple times which was very messy!
then we had an issue with our polish getting mites and she died. We were dusting all birds with a chicken dust to get rid of the mites and recently switched to DE for the dusting because it seemed good. I also sprayed them with a mite, lice and tick preventative... Manno-pro Poultry Protector... I really need a kill all get r done remedy right now! I do not care if it is a all natural crap as I am not killing them with the natural stuff I have used. What about Ivermectin? Seems to me this might be the fix all I am looking for?

I use seven dust. You can watch the buggers die! I hated using it as it is deadly to bees so I try to be as careful as I can. I dust inside the coop and use as little as I can. I put it inberween the feathers as much as I can and I do it at night so it settles as much as it can before they get out again in the morning. I have used ivermectin pour on and sometimes still will depending on the bird. With polish put a pinch in the head puff. Don't let them breathe it and you don't need to either. I just got tired of dealing with the bugs. DE was useless. Some say it is good as a preventative. I'm not so sure.

Back
Top Bottom