WH Egg Laying

allergymama

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Michigan
So, my Welsh Harlequin ducks were hatched 18 weeks ago. I am expecting eggs at any moment (hoping!) and my DH is convinced that we have missed some (they are free range during the day and closed up at night). Do they (as some suggest) lay early in the morning (we let them out about 8am), or do I need to start wandering the fields looking for eggs? Or is it that it is autumn and they aren't going to lay because Michigan has decided to start winter early this year? How do WH do at laying in winter in colder climates...their night time area is an enclosed shed with pine trees on two sides to protect from the wind and an attached fenced duck run?

I should sign this "Newbie Owner with Egg Anxiety"
fl.gif

So, my Welsh Harlequin ducks were hatched 18 weeks ago. I am expecting eggs at any moment (hoping!) and my DH is convinced that we have missed some (they are free range during the day and closed up at night). Do they (as some suggest) lay early in the morning (we let them out about 8am), or do I need to start wandering the fields looking for eggs?
Mine started laying at 22 weeks. They lay sometime overnight so the eggs are in the coop with them.. We lock them up at dusk and let them out at dawn.

Or is it that it is autumn and they aren't going to lay because Michigan has decided to start winter early this year?
From what I understand many Welsh Harlequins will lay year round and only stop while molting. You can tell when they are getting ready to lay as they start to get bellies. Look up some pics of younger and older WH females and compare to yours.

How do WH do at laying in winter in colder climates...their night time area is an enclosed shed with pine trees on two sides to protect from the wind and an attached fenced duck run?
This is my first winter with mine and I live in NC so I don't know yet what winter will do.

I should sign this "Newbie Owner with Egg Anxiety"
fl.gif

I drove myself crazy waiting on eggs. Be patient it will happen in the next few weeks.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom