Daffy the Cochin rooster needs a loving new home

brandichick

Chirping
5 Years
May 24, 2014
California
Hello,

I live in Concord, CA and have a 5 month old Cochin rooster that needs a new home. Concord does not allow roosters and Daffy was supposed to be a hen when I purchased him from the feed store back in May 2014!! I am heartbroken to part with him, he is a super cool guy, eats from my hand, loves oatmeal with grapes and makes the cutest happy sounds when he eats it! People in my neighborhood know there is a rooster somewhere and seem to be on a mission to track him down, encouraging neighbors to contact code enforcement etc and I am afraid they will also try to make me give up my hens. I won't give him to a rooster rescue place as I have heard awful stories and seen some terrible places. If anyone has some land and can give a rooster a safe, loving home please let me know. I have contacted several farm animals sanctuaries and no-one has replied, I have also put the word out on Facebook with all my friends.
Thanks so much:)

Hello 'Daffy's' Dad...
We live in Placerville up in El Dorado County off of I-50 east of Sacramento. We are in a nice rural / semi-urban community that boarders a very large family owned fruit orchard. We have only 1/3 acre of land with our home, however, I have fully installed irrigation to accommodate a large garden project as well as a drought efficient landscaping plan.
We intend to become actively engaged in a 'Backyard Chicken Coop (BYC)' hobbie level program. Our yard is fully fenced for animal safety. We have had chickens at several of our homes over the years. The important necessities of penning, nutrition, health maintenance, and family interaction are well appreciated.
Our interests have been involved in egg production as a curiosity and children teaching venture, however we have always been fascinated with raising chicks. Your Rooster is beautiful; and matching him up with his breed of hens would, no doubt, provide an awesome opportunity to persue the breeding interest.
Should you wish to further discuss our family adopting Daffy let me know.
Best regards,
Dave Tullos

Hi Dave, I am Daffy's mom. Thanks so much for your email. Your family sound perfect for Daffy! It sounds like a beautiful setting for him and a beautiful life with lot's of hens! One of my hens just started laying eggs and Daffy is way more involved than I ever knew roosters were. He spends time standing near her when she's on her nest and also gets involved in arranging the materials in the nesting box, turning in circles and making all sorts of clucky noises! If you can't tell, I LOVE this rooster and want the best for him.

Do you already have a coop? Is the coop predator proof? (hardware cloth, securely locked etc.) Do you have other pets? I have a cat and him and Daffy get along. When are you thinking you would like to have Daffy join the family?

Sorry for all the questions, hope you understand. Look forward to hearing from you.

Gaynor

Hi Dave, I'm just checking in with you to see if you are still interested in adopting Daffy.

He is still available and still as sweet as can be :)

Thanks,
Gaynor

Back
Top Bottom