Finally got started on our first coop last weekend.

ProjectChick

Songster
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
After a lot of discussion we decided to use pallets for the base of our coop. We have access to good food grade pallets and choose to go the cheap (free) direction. I have to tell you though, I am not sure my husband will be willing to go that direction next time. Pallets are not a true, uniform dimension and he had some trouble with that. He told me many times that it would have been faster to just frame them up, than it was trying to line up the pallets

I have done a lot of research over the last few weeks, since the chicks came to live with us and have tried to incorporate as many of the "good" ideas I have seen as possible.

This is our progress the first weekend of work last week. We had company and a football game yesterday, but plan on getting a whole day of work in on it today as soon as the sun is up. The chicks are getting a little big for the broader and need to get outside. Did you know chicks love grasshoppers!

We decided to re-use as many materials as we could, we have done pretty well, so far. Our design will end up being 4 x 10 ft in size by 4ft high. We only have 5 chickens right now, but my husband must already understand chicken math, because I was instructed to "build it bigger than you need"!

We started with a stack of pallets

We did purchase some treated lumber to use for the base. It was built on flat "skids" so that the coop can be moved to new locations as needed. My daughter is the one that "Resuced" the chicks that were left behind, so she was required to do a great deal of the work.

The base ready for the pallet floor

3 pallets in place for the floor.

Starting to put the pallets in place for walls. Apparently my husband was not as amused as my daughter!

Front and back walls in place.

Cut and started to frame in the chicken door.

I found a pile of free cedar plywood on craigslist. (LOVE CRAIGSLIST) and some really cheap at the Restore. It worked well for lining the inside of the walls.

My husband was able to get several rolls of this blue plastic liner. We used it to cover the floor for cleaning ease. He used silicone to seal the seam.

You can see the nesting boxes down at the other end.

This we where we ended last weekend. Didn't get nearly as far as we wanted, but at least we got it started. Time to head out now and get started. Have a great day!

So if any of you have any questions or PLEASE suggestions please post! Thanks to all of you, you have helped a great deal so far!

Looks really nice! What are your plans for the roof? Are you going to have any windows? Craigslist is a great place to get windows too. I pick them up as they come around, and use them for sheds, barn repairs etc. What about a run, are you going to fence them in, or let the free range? Keep posting pics as you make more progress.

Great job scoring those pallets!! I am building a pallet coop myself. Don't forget to seal that wood when you are all done with a good waterproof sealer. :) I will be following along!

I didn't get many pictures taken this weekend. But I wanted to share one right now.

This is the poop drawer that is located under the roost bars. We have it setup so it will pull all the way out to be emptied, then slide back in. The drawer was another "free on curb" score from craigslist. The roost bars actually came from the same curb and are made from an old rail. They are also removable for cleaning.

We had a couple of observers yesterday anxiously awaiting their new home. I did get a pick of a couple of them.

We have some left of over metal roof panels we are using for the roof. We also have some privacy fence boards that were left over after a fence was built at my mother's house. We will be us those boards for siding. More pictures to come soon.

Thanks!

Finally found some time in between all the other activities to get back to the chicken this weekend.

We decided to do the roof next.

First we added support in the front to set the roof on.

Added Rafters

Roof framing complete.

We decided to buy fiberglass roof panels for the roof. They were a little pricy, but we only needed 3 and we liked the idea that they are sheer enough to let in a little light, but will stop the sun rays, so they shouldn't over heat.

We were discussing the need for venting and we remembered that we had left over vented soffit from the building of our house. We thought it worked well. We placed it all the way around,we will have to monitor to make sure it doesn't allow in to much of draft.

I found this little windows online really cheap, about half what they wanted for them at menards. I searched all the second hand stores and craigslist but couldn't find ones small enough for a coop. But I just love these and I can't wait to put them in.

Next we will be working on the siding and putting in those cute little windows! Thanks for looking!

We continued working on the coop this weekend. It was a busy weekend like most, but we did make some progress on the coop.

We started this weekend by cutting in the holes for the windows.

Next we decided to wrap the coop in plastic to help fight drafts in the winter.

We added tape and stapled it down around the window and door openings so that it wouldn't come undone when we cut the plastic.

We started putting the siding on next. We had left over treated pickets from a privacy fence that was put up at my mother's house. We used what she had left over and had to purchase just a few more to finish.

We cut around the windows and doors as we added the siding.

We have an access door in the back for feeding and watering, cleaning, etc.

We put the windows in.

and this is where we ended up this weekend. Because the granddaughter stopped over for a little chicken love. She had to hug each one of them.

Next weekend, we will be adding trim and other details like building the doors. Weather permitting we will start painting and then it is on to the run.

Thanks for looking!

Looks good. I'm a bit suspicious about the plastic though. Usually you want the least breathing layer as close to the inside as possible to not lock humidity into the walls. Also, I didn't see any breathing space between the plastic and the paneling, it might create some issues with moisture too.

You also might want to reconsider reopening that space at the top of the wall, to allow for some more ventilation, the way it's built right now might be a bit too little.

Last edited:
Looks good. I'm a bit suspicious about the plastic though. Usually you want the least breathing layer as close to the inside as possible to not lock humidity into the walls. Also, I didn't see any breathing space between the plastic and the paneling, it might create some issues with moisture too.

You also might want to reconsider reopening that space at the top of the wall, to allow for some more ventilation, the way it's built right now might be a bit too little.

Agreed - open up the spaces at the top (front and sides) - that is prime ventilation space and you want it open, even (arguably especially) in winter.

Hello thank you for your comments.

The soffit under the roof is a vented soffit that was used when they built our house. It has been placed all the way around roof and is open to the inside. I was actually a little concerned about to much ventilation. The walls are also not air tight at the top, so there will be air circulation there as well.

Thanks again, I definitely use all the help I can get. :)

Back
Top Bottom