mascoy duck layed eggs in dog house on patio

marinasbody

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
st.petersburg, florida
hi everyone , last march 4 baby started visting me and now one has made a nest in a soft sided dog house on my patio.i live in florida on a lake put mulch inside cause it seem that the eggs where allover the place. she is now sitting on them but this morning 3 of the eggs where pushed out.i put them back in,wondering if they push them out if they are bad,this is my first time having a nest so close that I can see it ,bigboy the male stays close by and seems to keep other ducks away .how man days do'se it take it hatch. any info would be welcome.also what do they eat they seem to love corn flakes....marinasbody

They do push out eggs that are bad, and also sometimes push out ones that are infertile (how they know this is beyond me). But you did the right thing in putting them back in for now. Sometimes it's an accident that some get pushed out. If she pushes any out again you can mark them with an "X" and try putting them back in again. If she pushes out the same ones again, I would throw them away because that would indicate she knows what she's doing.

Muscovy Duck eggs take 35 days to hatch, the longest of any duck species. So, it'll be awhile! So neat you will get to watch her incubate and possibly be the first to see the little ones enter the world. :)

Corn flakes aren't the best to feed ducks, if at all possible could you pick up some duck pellets from a feed store? Those would be best to provide momma with the proper nutrition while she is incubating. She probably won't leave the nest much to eat though, maybe once a day (which is why it's important to give her good, nutritious food).

Aww, thanks Rafter H Farms! I was also a lurker for awhile before I became a member. I love how everyone is so nice and willing to share their knowledge with others around here. :)

hi orca5094 than
k you for your advce my girl loves the pellets, I have posted picyures but don't see them this is new for me and I'm still trying to figuar out how to post correctly,but love this site

So glad she likes the pellets! :)

I don't see your pictures, either (and I would really love to!). After you click on the little "Insert Image" button when making a post, it has an "Upload Files" button you can use to upload pictures right from your computer. It's pretty easy once you have done it the first time. Give it another go?

So glad she likes the pellets! :)

I don't see your pictures, either (and I would really love to!). After you click on the little "Insert Image" button when making a post, it has an "Upload Files" button you can use to upload pictures right from your computer. It's pretty easy once you have done it the first time. Give it another go?

hi orca5094 I just posted pics,can u see them I have to post via smart phonehaven't figured out how to download to my computer

Yes, I see them now! Thank you! :)

What an interesting place for her to choose to build a nest. lol! I'm sure she feels nice and secure in there, though. Can't wait to see her babies!

Back
Top Bottom