Please help sex my peafowl!

TXPeacockLady

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
East Texas
Hello,
I've been searching the net for months now trying to determine if my peafowl are males or females and honestly I just can't tell. I started out with 2 India Blues and 2 Black Shoulder, unfortunately snakes got one of each breed back in August, I figure it would have been easier to tell if had still had the other two to compare. :(
They are now both about 12-13 weeks old, I'm pretty sure the black shoulder is a peahen as she/he has no color what so ever popping up, where as my India Blue has coloring coming up all over his/her head and neck, in certain light the color is very blue and in other light its very green, I guess that's what's making it so hard to tell. Here are some pictures so please tell me what yall think. Any help or advise is appreciated!
Thanks

Looks green here...

Looks blue here...

Sand Bathing...

Hello!
Your IB looks like a girl, but the other one does not look like either an IB or a Black Shoulder, unless your lighting is very peculiar!
You can take a look here and see that IBBS chicks are actually very light colored:
http://peafowlimagedatabase.weebly.com/peachick-chart.html

Your guy may be a cameo? Other peapeople here will be able to give you more well-informed thoughts on this.

And, of course...

Last edited:
I agree with New 2, IB hen and a probable Cameo of unknown sex. I have Cameos at about the same age and I can't tell the sex yet either although some of their necks are getting dark and that may be a sign of male.
idunno.gif

Wow, you know that makes so much sense! I kept looking at pictures wondering if maybe it would just take longer for that one to change, but being a cameo now after viewing pics is so obvious lol. The woman I got them from must have got them mixed up when they boxed them up for me. The cameos head and neck are starting to get darker but he/she flecks her neck feathers out ALL the time which I believe is a sign of a female, is that right? So nice to have a forum that I can get answers from! It's really appreciated! :)

Pretty cameo girl and indan blue girl is what i see.
here is a cameo girl at around 6 months

She has molted out and gotten her new feathers here at about a year old

her as a 2 year old

I figured she is split white, i sold her last year cause i could never find a male and did not want cameo in my blood line here, trying to keep it blue here with blues, blue pieds, whites and silvers only.
wink.png

Okay, so I'm not great with color ID's, but I was sort of wondering if that colored hen might not be purple?
hu.gif
She seems pretty dark for a cameo, but it's so hard to tell from photographs, particularly with changing light, etc.
But I could be totally wrong
hide.gif

@TXPeacockLady , did the person you got your birds from happen to mention what KIND of black shoulder birds they were? Like, maybe, did they mention any color? What color were the chicks when you brought them home? You wouldn't happen to have any baby chick pix would you?

Back
Top Bottom