Roo attacked me!

Dragonfly75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
A-town, TX
So I went out to the coop to get eggs today, and I squatted down to pick up Red and sat her on my knee. Boliver, my 10 month old rooster, came through the door and attacked me. Drew blood on my belly. I stood up and he did it again and got me in the hand, so I kicked him. But apparently I didn't kick him hard enough because he kept raising his hackles and wings at me. So I put my foot up in case he tried to jump again. He did but just barely and never got close enough to me. Will this behavior stop? My 6 year old daughter's chore is to check for eggs when she gets home from school. I only did it today because the wind was blowing so bad. I have held the chickens with him in there before and he never tried to attack me. I don't want to have to watch my back when I go clean the poop boards or feed and water them. Any suggestions?

Crock pot, or send him to someone who will eat him. Dangerous, especially for a child!!! He'll only get worse, and there are many nice cockrels out there to find, or raise chicks in spring to select another. Mary

At the risk of sounding hard-hearted, what are your odds of being able to replace your 6 year old daughter? Now, what are the odds of being able to replace a rooster? And how willing are you to look into her face when she tells you she doesn't want to be out there with the chickens anymore because she's scared? To me it's a no brainer. My grandkids, aged 8 and 9, are my full time chicken sitters when we leave town. I couldn't do that if I had one single bird out there I couldn't trust. I also have 3 year old grandaughter with Spina Bifida and she's in wheelchair - wouldn't even be able to outrun an aggressive roo. Had one rooster attack me. He was delicious.

You have a good point, Blooie!!! Believe me I have no problem eating him. I bought him about 2 months ago. I told my mom a whole chicken for $5 is pretty dang cheap!

You have a good point, Blooie!!! Believe me I have no problem eating him. I bought him about 2 months ago. I told my mom a whole chicken for $5 is pretty dang cheap!

Think that's a wise move. Considering that is only his first attack and he will get braver with each he could do some serious damage to your daughter. My SiL still bears the scars from a rooster attack requiring stitches when she was 3. Not worth the risk, your stomach could have been her face. So glad you got those eggs today not her!

Go out and bring a broom if he tries anything scoop him away with the broom till he stops if his behavior continues eat him

Back
Top Bottom