Please help with some projects

RooksMom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Harvey county Kansas
I recently got some chickens, I built the coop myself with salvaged wood, an idea of what it was supposed to look like, and determination. It turned out really good, the lady I bought my chickens from was surprised to find out that I just kind of made it up as I went.

I have several projects that I would like to do, maybe not in the immediate future, but before this time next year.

1. Dig a root cellar. I very much need one

2. Build a small milking shed. I have lots of wood, and will be getting two recently bred does at the end of this month, fresh goatmilk come April/Mary, but I'll need someplace to milk them, and their "house" is a little short unless I want to sit on the floor.

3. drying racks. For herbs, cut grasses, whole plants, and I was thinking on trying to dry food this year. I don't have a dehydrator, and I've never had luck with them anyway.

and in-case anyone has any tips that would help. I am always willing to try new things. I would love to learn how to make baskets from natural materials for example. I know I can't really sell them, but they'll save me a lot of money on containers that don't need to be watertight. I'm a passable knitter, can't crochet to save my life, love to sew, great cook.

pretty much anything you think I might find helpful.

thanks in advance.

Milking shed should be fairly easy but make it larger than you think you will need. In fact i would make a large shed to milk in, house animals, and a separated side to dry things like peppers ect. We have always had good luck with pole style barns/sheds use poles that wont rot like red cedar dig a hole about 3' and place a largeish flat rock in bottom b4 placeing pole, then square em up as best as you can. something like this just add sides and floor or no floor as needs require. also you can just have the roof slop one direction. roof slope is important in tn we usually use a 12-2 (2ft drop for every 12ft length)

pole%20barn%20packages-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll check it out. I'm sure I can figure out ventilation and whatnot, I'm pretty handy, I just need to know the big lists of "DO'S" and "DON'TS" as I've never made one before.

Thank you, I'll check it out. I'm sure I can figure out ventilation and whatnot, I'm pretty handy, I just need to know the big lists of "DO'S" and "DON'TS" as I've never made one before.

Its pretty much doable with a pvc pipe and some mesh, slanted on the side so rainwater doesn't get in. Its to let out all the gases that ripen the vegetables.

Back
Top Bottom