ocpoolguy

Songster
10 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Orange County CA
http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/ocpoolguy/media/IMG_0604_zpse6b24c22.jpg.html

http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/ocpoolguy/media/IMG_0604_zpse6b24c22.jpg.html

Chicken won’t get up.

Yesterday Walter the hen we call a him. Was sitting in the run rather then walking around. We just laughed it off and made jokes at him. This morning after collecting eggs and feeding them Walter didn’t show for food. I look in the coop and he in on the floor, not nesting box just sitting there. He has always ben held and petted so there was no fear when I picked him up. I can see nothing wrong with him, eyes look ok he seems alert but won’t stand up. He will grab onto my hands with his feet. I put him down in the grass and he still won’t get up. I gave him some water and food. he is picking at the grass a bit and has been drinking some not touching the food. His crop seems empty to me. I need to go to work hate to leave him like that but I have to go. Wife will Be home in about four hrs. any suggestions on what to look for?

Last edited:
Well off to work for now. Over the last 30 minutes he is drinking lots of water head moveing eyes moveing makeing normal chicken noises just won't get up. Wife will check in hear when she gets home. Please if you have any advise let up know what you think.

Have you checked him for mites? Sometimes when they are weak from mites they will act like this. I have also had gnats cause this. Have you brought any new chickens into the coop recently? Breathing ok? How is his comb color? Backside clean or do you see any bloody poo about the chicken coop? I would first separate him from the others in case its something contagious. Maybe give some probiotic/electrolite water. After that it really depends if any other symptoms come up. Some will try antibiotics just case but that could be no help.

No change with Walter today. Sad to see him like this. I don’t know what mites look like but can’t see any thing that looks like small bugs or any thing that looks like bug bites. Gnays Not sute what to look for there. T here are lots of flies around but i doubt thats a prolbem. No new chickens we only have three. he was laying eggs up until yesterday. this afternoon he was breathing with his mouth open like when it is hot out. Comb looks a bit lighter shade of red this afternoon and I would say the red comb type thing near the ears is more pail. would Gatoraid be an electrolite water? don’t have time to hit up the local feed store tonight. Also he has yellowish poop stuck to him this afternoon from pooping when sitting. kinda runny.

Sometimes you have to rule out things to get to the bottom of these kind of symptoms. Check inside Walter's vent an inch or so aimed upward, for an impacted egg. Calcium should be given along with a warm shallow bath only if you feel an egg or suspect one. Since we don't know Walter's age, worms and coccidiosis are some possibilities. If Walter is over 2 years then she could possibly suffering from egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying which can make them not want to get up and walk around, and it can make them waddle. Vitamin deficiency or early signs of Mareks disease could also be a possibility. Gatorade and Pedialyte are good substitutes temporarily for chick electrolytes, and you can certainly make them at home, too. I would pick up some poultry vitamins with electrolytes at the feed store, but I would consider treating her for coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium, Ampromed) from the cattle med section of the feed store. A vet could run a stool sample to check for worms, as well as a high amount of coccidia in her stool. Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat wormer are the ones I would consider using--1/2 ml of either given orally, then repeat in 10 days. For certain less common worms, longer treatments with SafeGuard are required.

Last edited:
Walter is the same today. going to check his vent. Nervous about this I assume if there is an egg stuck in there I will feel it. he did drink some gatoraid last night.

Well I couldn't feel any thing I think feels like an egg in the vent. from the outside of belly I was feeling for anything such as an egg. didn't feel any thing there. Walter is right at 1 year. I am going to check with the local feed store now.

Bump!!!
Wife thinks she may be broody? Iwill do some reading on this. Will broody hens not get up even if you pick them up and set them in the back yard grass? Walter is one yrar old and has been laying about six months.

Broody would be my guess looking at your picture and the way he is acting (I feel weird calling her a he). Not sure of the breed but looks like a type of Wyandotte. If he is, this breed is very susceptible to broodiness. I have a Golden Laced Wyandotte and she is a beautiful bird and lays well but bugs me when she gets broody. She has been broody about 3 times now (in three years).

Back
Top Bottom