Can quail get in the hole?

jaybeeson18

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Worcestershire
I have built my coop all up and running which came from ebay flat packed. Only one default though. The wooden ramp ladder going to the top layer of the coop from the run does not reach the hole. From the top of the ladder the hole is about 6cm up. Do quails have the brain to fly into the square hole to get into the hutch or do I need to find another longer ladder?

Last edited:
If the hole is big enough, they should be able to hop up this high and go through the hole. If not, you can add a small piece of wood that they step up on to get closer to the hole.

You may need to lock your quail in the coop for a few days so they know it is shelter and home. If you don't do this, they may never go up the ramp and into the coop.

Good luck!

I just read somewhere that quail are not big fans of ramps. If they don't get the hang of it, you may want to build steps with cinder block and/or bricks. They will hop pretty high.

I bought a little 2 story rabbit hutch at a yard sale that has a ramp in it. They were going up and down it in a matter of 15 min. For the second group I put in it I just sprinkled a little food on the ramp and they went up it as well. I just put about 4 in it during the day so they can peck at the grass a little and put them back with their flock in the evening.

Back
Top Bottom