Do quail fly and will they do well in an outdoor aviary that is built on the ground

Lobzi

Crowing
14 Years
May 6, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area, EB
They will have access to a large area of dirt and I will put some plants for them too. It is tall, going from 10 to 12 feet with the slanted roof. I plan to put some other flying birds in the aviary too but I expect the quail will hang out on the ground sort of like chickens...am I correct? Im new to raising quail or anything but chickens for that matter. Id sure like it if some experienced folk would share their knowledge please.
Thanks, Robin

All quail are generally 'flighty' if untamed, however the extent of which will differ between species. Yes, they are ground-dwellers so they'll spend the majority of their lives running around on the ground being quails. Generally when quail feel threatened, they'll make a dash for a hiding place as they are very nimble on their feet, so make sure to provide a hiding place or two in-case they need to run away from the birds at the top of the aviary.

Button quail/King Quail/Chinese Painted Quail are normally the best type of quail for aviaries \as they will more than willing to pick up any spilled seeds and are normally able to live off seeds, although it would be better for them to have additional protein supplements such as meal worms, kale, scrambled eggs, etc. and of course the usual shell grit.

They will only fly when spooked, and this is otherwise known as 'bonking' because they fly straight up into the air very quickly and won't be able to tell whether there is a roof or not, which results in a 'bonk' on the head. This doesn't happen often and it shouldn't be a problem for you because your aviary seems very tall (I have no idea how to use the imperial system).

Thank you so much for sharing that with me. Do you recommend raising quail from babies yourself or getting an adult pair and letting them breed the babies naturally. Im hoping to make pets out of at least some of them. Will hand raising them, as works with chicks, make them ore friendly and more like pets as they mature?

They will have access to a large area of dirt and I will put some plants for them too. It is tall, going from 10 to 12 feet with the slanted roof. I plan to put some other flying birds in the aviary too but I expect the quail will hang out on the ground sort of like chickens...am I correct? Im new to raising quail or anything but chickens for that matter. Id sure like it if some experienced folk would share their knowledge please.
Thanks, Robin
Just keep in mind that chickens and quail should be kept apart and biosecurity should be practiced between species. CHickens carry many diseases that they are resistant to but are fatal to quail.

I had one coturnix quail that flew out of my coop through the open door when I was trying to get it and he flew right up and across into next doors garden. I never new they could go so high and fly like a duck even across as well like he new how to direct him self. So I went into next doors garden to grab him. Tuck me half an hour to get over the tall fence. Went to him went to grab him and he flew back into my garden. So I was stuck in next doors garden scraping all my belly on the fence. Finally got over and he ran into the coop!!! Lucky me

If given the space, quail will enjoy flying around inside an aviary. My bobs used to do laps every day for exercise. This is good for strengthening the lungs, breast muscles and teaches them control. My Bobs are older now and don't fly much anymore, but I think they are living well past their life expectancy because they have gotten such good exercise and muscle tone.

Oh that is wonderful news. I read where their life spans are short (four years) but then I have a rare chickens experience living past four years so Im sort of getting use to the shorter life spans in my pets.Mine will certainly have plenty of room to fly if they so desire.

I had one coturnix quail that flew out of my coop through the open door when I was trying to get it and he flew right up and across into next doors garden. I never new they could go so high and fly like a duck even across as well like he new how to direct him self. So I went into next doors garden to grab him. Tuck me half an hour to get over the tall fence. Went to him went to grab him and he flew back into my garden. So I was stuck in next doors garden scraping all my belly on the fence. Finally got over and he ran into the coop!!! Lucky me

I had one quail that was so spooked it flew straight out of coop. I thought it was just going to fly over the fence to the next door neigbor house. But it flew over the house next to the next door neigbors house.

Back
Top Bottom