How should Embden feathers look between the legs down to the knee?

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
I have posted and getting no response. I'm worried! My 6 month old goose has always had 2 large "fat rolls" down her legs to her knees. Well, today, she has no fat rool at all on the right leg and the normal fat roll on the left.

What is this? Is this normal? I have been trying to search google all day. What is the underpart of a goose called? Those feathers that hang so low to the ground between their legs?

I think it's the keel you're referring to, and it's a sign of condition generally, and they can lose it during brooding for example as resources are used up.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless she's losing weight without an obvious reason i.e. brooding.

Best wishes.

Someone PM me and told me they are called lobes. Somedays she has 2, somedays she has 1. I have no clue, but I am a bit disappointed at all the people that read my post and only one was kind enough to PM me that what I'm referring to are lobes. I'm sure most of the people that read my post knew that. I didn't as I'm still new to this.

In any case, I have decided to worm them as I never have before. I read here at BYC to give 1cc of Safegard for goats orally. I sure hope that's the correct information.

Someone PM me and told me they are called lobes. Somedays she has 2, somedays she has 1. I have no clue, but I am a bit disappointed at all the people that read my post and only one was kind enough to PM me that what I'm referring to are lobes. I'm sure most of the people that read my post knew that. I didn't as I'm still new to this.

In any case, I have decided to worm them as I never have before. I read here at BYC to give 1cc of Safegard for goats orally. I sure hope that's the correct information.

People probably didn't have any info to offer, so they kept silent rather than post 'I don't know'. They are also known as lobes, yes, I've heard that area referred to as the keel as well, different strokes for different folks.

Might be worth getting a decent book on geese, or finding a mentor with lots of experience, or finding a good website about this.

Anyway, best wishes.

People probably didn't have any info to offer, so they kept silent rather than post 'I don't know'. They are also known as lobes, yes, I've heard that area referred to as the keel as well, different strokes for different folks.

Might be worth getting a decent book on geese, or finding a mentor with lots of experience, or finding a good website about this.

Anyway, best wishes.
From what I can work out, the keel is what Toulouse should have...a very pronounced breast bone, and the undercarriage is referred to as the lobe/s. But, of course, I wouldn´t swear on it! ;)
Well, chooks, d´you have any little fluffy things there?

From what I can work out, the keel is what Toulouse should have...a very pronounced breast bone, and the undercarriage is referred to as the lobe/s. But, of course, I wouldn´t swear on it! ;)
Well, chooks, d´you have any little fluffy things there?

That's true, but I've heard the term used rather loosely... Correct terminology is best. People with more goose experience than myself have referred to the lobes as the keel but doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

What's your last sentence mean? Sorry, I don't get it, lol.

Best wishes.

Thank you all for chiming in! I tried searching undercarriage on google, got nothing. I tried to word it so many ways. I tried searching on you tube as well. I do a lot of reading here at BYC about geese, that and asking questions is pretty much how I"m learning.

This website is really great!

Quote: If the info in this thread isn't useful you could PM the people to ask about lobes.
Quote: This site has all manner of random info on geese... Such as training them to do tricks, making nappies for them, etc. If the info isn't useful to you, they also link to plenty of other sites.

Do you feed your goose anything with sodium chloride in it? The main common thing that causes massive weight gain and just as rapid weight loss is table salt, that could account for her weight fluctuations.

A single molecule of salt can attract up to 100 times its weight in fluid, causing severe fluid retention. While most people aren't aware of this, since once cooked you can't taste it anywhere near as strongly, most loaves of bread are very high in salt. So are most cheeses and really most things in the average cupboard are often insanely high in either salt, sugar, or both.

We need salt, so do animals, of course, but quite often we can meet our requirements via vegetables or other sources, and most premixed foods for animals contain salt as well.

Best wishes.

Thank you so much for all of that wonderful information! I really appreciate everyone's comments, I'm so lucky to have found this website!

I have never given my birds people food or anything with salt. At least, not that I'm aware of. They get McGeary organic duck maintainer, Mazuri Waterfowl pellets, Ultra kibble crumbles, showbird crumbles, cracked corn, mealworms and several types of lettuce. Romaine, kale, a couple other fancy lettuces that I pick up at the grocery store and I also give them organic mixed green. The kind we buy for ourselves to eat. No spinach though, at least not much, just the few leaves that are in the Spring mix.

I also give them watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melons.

Last edited:
That's true, but I've heard the term used rather loosely... Correct terminology is best. People with more goose experience than myself have referred to the lobes as the keel but doesn't necessarily mean it's right.

What's your last sentence mean? Sorry, I don't get it, lol.

Best wishes.
Haha, sorry. It´s Spring, so I imagine you have baby all sorts of things coming along there...
lol.png

I´ve checked, the keel is the area of the breast-bone, particularly noticeable in the exhibition-type toulouse, and the lobes can also be referred to as the paunch. :)

Back
Top Bottom