Rats in our retaining wall

Trent Hardy

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Newfoundland, Ca
So last night we discovered that we have at least one rat living in a pile of rocks that acts as a retaining wall for a bank on our property. I've been eying this as a potential problem for a while, but just haven't gotten around to doing something about it. However, now that I know there's a rat living there, I've decided to suck it up, remove some of the rocks (to make some space) and build a concrete retaining wall. Problem is, I kind of want to be able to get rid of the rat as I'm moving the pile (the placement of this pile makes traps and poison a bad idea as it's close to our birds).

Any suggestions on how to proceed? I basically want to kill the rats as I'm moving the boulders, not flush them out towards my neighbors.

Unos cepos , con un poco de tocino, suelen ser efectivos, para acabar con ellas,(Algunas trampas, con un poco de tocino, suele ser eficaz para matarlos)
Via Google Translate:
Some traps, with a little bacon, usually effective, to end them (Some traps, with a little bacon, usually effective to kill them)

There are plenty of traps that are safe around birds (many are enclosed). I'd really want to knock the numbers down as far as I can before I start taking the wall down. There's never just 1.

There are plenty of traps that are safe around birds (many are enclosed). I'd really want to knock the numbers down as far as I can before I start taking the wall down. There's never just 1.
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of :). It shocks me just how little room these guys need to get around. This little rock wall is inside our duck pen, and because I thought it might be a good place for rats I enclosed it in chicken wire. Last night when we saw this one, it pretty much flew into this little gap between the wire and the wall of our house that was small enough I hadn't even noticed it.

I was trying to figure a way that I could maybe keep most of the wall behind the chicken wire and just remove the rock as I go, maybe catching and killing any rats I encounter with a net or something, but the little buggers are so fast I don't know what kind of luck I'd have.

Back
Top Bottom