How do I treat sticktight fleas on Free Range Chickens? Specifically the free range part of that Fre

DWFaith

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 17, 2014
We've had chickens on property for over 20 years. This is the first year we've had problems with the Sticktight flea and my problem is the birds are not "tame". They are truly free range and getting close to them is all but impossible. We can sneak up on them at night but we'd only get one a night and then they'd move to a new roosting place. But their entire "range" must be infested as the cats/dogs, rabbits, and even a couple of our weanling horses have them on their ears and such. Any ideas on how to treat the four acres of our ten acres that they inhabit the most? We're in south Texas and have been hit hard by the 7+ year drought. We have lost our pastures, the paddock grazing field, and the front and back yards - nothing but dirt. I've read that Seven, High Yield and Permethrin dust work well, just not sure how to do four acres....Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted! Thanks

Your birds being relatively wild would not be a concern for me. My assumption is they are games.

Breaking sticktight flea life cycle would be first approach. Having multiple host species on property would complicate efforts. With chickens I would pen them up which is opposite my usual approach with mites. The free living larvae and pupae would be the target. Look into the fleas requirements for larval development and pupation. Then work to get so soil below and in immediate vicinity of pen is not hospitable to the free-living stages. This needs to be maintained for longer than the time females and the eggs they can produce persist.

Wow, that's a tough one. Maybe offer them a dust bath of whatever kills the fleas (Sevin dust?) You could lure them to it with feed or treats.

By the way, I'm really sorry I googled sticktight fleas. Yuck!

Last edited:
I'd like to add that we had a really bad tick problem one year and I bought yard spray from TSC. I only sprayed the perimeter of 1.5 acres but it helped tons. 4 acres is a lot to spray, but if you're up to it I recommend it.

Last edited:
Or Guineas! Get a bunch of guinea hens, they LOVE to eat bugs. See, I'm all full of ideas tonight! Ok, I'm done now
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom