Pekin with a bald spot?!

allgoaton

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 14, 2014
These are the best pictures I could get, but our pekin has a bald spot down to the skin. No feathers. It's on her side, above the wing. I've seen another duck picking at it, I don't know

if there is a medical problem or if she's being pecked at.

hey I am brand new to backyard chickens!! this is actually my first post I had joined searching for answers, somewhat involving the same question you were asking!! obviously your ducks are full grown. I have to one week and one day old Pekin ducklings. they have never been outside and were hatched in a brooder at a farm nearby. I am sure they had never been exposed to mite or lice. but when I came home this evening my wonderful in had been scratching its neck so bad that I took off all the fluff on the back of its neck but I don't see anything but skin. it doesn't look too red or irritated although along the back of its neck on the right side it looks like there is a red bulging spot but I'm pretty sure that is a vein. I am just curious as to what would make it continue to scratch to where all the feathers (it's really just fluff!) have come off the spot on his neck. what would cause him to continue to scratch like this! is it just because they grow so fast? should I be concerned!?! I will try and attach a photo in just a minute. I am sorry as I know you are posting on this thread as a concerned parent! I definitely did not mean to butt in I just was hoping you could help me with my concern as a new parent, myself!

allgoaton, did this just show up? Could something have grabbed at her through the fence? Predators will do that - reach through chain link and pull birds out bit by bit. I don't recall where yours are at night - in a shelter? Or inside chain link fence?

Lizzy-Beth22, Welcome!

How warm is the brooder? Sometimes heat lamps are too close, and actually can burn the ducklings. Might something like that be happening? What kind of bedding do you use? Do the ducklings have a chance to bathe (no soap) daily with constant supervision?

I will be turning in soon, but will check on this thread when I get up.

They have never been outside! And they have had a heat lamp on them. Hard to regulate temp in house! at night they are getting cold and during the day there getting very hot and breathing heavy. you are probably right about the heat lamp. I noticed this morning and it very well could be a burn/ dry skin itch , they look great after tonight. Bathing them daily, with no soap of course just plain water. I think I was being a worry wart!:) created a shaded spot in the brooder for them to escape if it is too hot and the heat lamp is on them. Thanks so much!!!

They are in a chicken wire fence during the day but locked up nice at night. I don't think anything could have gotten her but something during the day could have... She does seem to be molting a bit but she is down to plucked bald in this spot. Poor baby.

Most likely if it is a female and you have male ducks it is from mating... the rip creature from the females back and neck... I actually take my females inside and bathe them and give them some romaine lettuce just to give them a break every now and again... them male ducks can be harsh 🥹

Back
Top Bottom