cocci?

julie42a

Songster
8 Years
May 30, 2014
Aberdeen, SD
I'm seeing a lot of stinky, runny poop in my coop and run and I'm wondering if it could be coccidiosis? My chickens are 20 wks and 26 weeks, so they seem old for it, but I recently purchased new sand for their coop and run and am wondering if they maybe picked it up from that? It was washed construction sand. I'm thinking I'll treat with Corid and see if that helps unless anyone has other suggestions. I have seen some clear nasal discharge as well.

20-26 week old pullets are still susceptible to Coccidiosis. They should be on a preventative once a month until they are at least 9 months. There are preventative doses and treatment doses when it comes to Amprolium, so it is important to use the proper amount.. They are either coming into lay or already laying. Young birds are also more susceptible to worms. Both can cause weakening of the bird's immune system and anemia, where birds can develop a secondary infection such as enteritis or a respiratory infection. Always supplement water with poultry vitamin and probiotic dispersible powder a few times a week, and for three days after any medicinal treatments. A top quality feed ration makes a difference too.

All but one of them is fairly active still, although they did quiet down a lot earlier than usual today. They're eating and drinking fairly well too, although they seem very thirsty. They were wormed wih Safeguard for 5 days in late August early September, and then I gave them all a follow up dose 10 days after that. I do give them vitamins and electrolytes approximately once a week in their water and longer if its hot or they've been stressed. They are eating a mix of flock raiser and layer crumbles. I could certainly try worming them again, or with something else. I just thought of coccidiosis because of the new sand from somewhere else and the extra nasty poop.

All but one of them is fairly active still, although they did quiet down a lot earlier than usual today. They're eating and drinking fairly well too, although they seem very thirsty. They were wormed wih Safeguard for 5 days in late August early September, and then I gave them all a follow up dose 10 days after that. I do give them vitamins and electrolytes approximately once a week in their water and longer if its hot or they've been stressed. They are eating a mix of flock raiser and layer crumbles. I could certainly try worming them again, or with something else. I just thought of coccidiosis because of the new sand from somewhere else and the extra nasty poop.

It sounds like you're managing them well. I've never dosed Safe-guard that many days in a row, but I doubt that is the problem. If there's no probiotic additive in the water dispersible powder you are using now, you may try a product I use called Probios dispersible powder: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules.html

Even so, you can supplement water 3 days a week and that will only benefit them. If it has been a month since they've had Corid, I would dose 2 tsp of 9.6% or 1.5 tsp of 20% powder per gallon of water for 7 days. Then follow up with 3 days of vitamins-probiotics in water. Do it again in 3 weeks but with 1 tsp per gallon as a preventative for 5-7 days. Like I stated, I prefer to do that until they are at least 9 months of age with a preventative dose regiment. I noticed a difference over the years of doing it this way.

Any damage to the intestinal tract prevents proper nutrient absorption, and that affects growth and a strong immune system into adulthood. There are many nutritional benefits by means of natural supplementation too. They aren't cure-alls many claim them to be, but when the right ones are used at the right levels, they can certainly maintain a strong immune system to contend with disease.

Last edited:
I will try to get a pic when I go out there in the morning. 3 of them have poop that kind of resembles snot (sorry, gross) if that helps? One is mostly normal except for a LOT of urates, and one (the thirsty one) is really really watery (which makes sense, I guess, with all the water?). Its been chilly the last few days, with really high wind yesterday, so its hard to tell if they're puffed up because they don't feel well or because of icky weather.

Oh, and this poop STINKS! That's actually what I noticed first, that it smelled a LOT worse than usual out there all of a sudden.

I worm 5 days in a row all the time, so that's fine. When you say the poop is like snot, does that mean it has mucus in it? Mucus could be a sign of infection or coccidiosis. If you can't get a vet to look at the poop microscopically, treat for coccidiosis as stated above.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom