Wet or dry?

TheChickenQueen

Songster
6 Years
May 2, 2014
Eastern Idaho
I got an incubator a few days ago and I have been putting it through a test run. And I have been collecting eggs for the last few days from my flock and I would like to set them tomorrow. Now my question is that for a first timer which method would be best for hatching? Wet or dry?

I always do "wet" hatches. I've never tried the dry hatching, so I can't say from personal experience whether it works as well (or better), or not. For the first eighteen days of incubation, I keep the humidity at 50-60% (55% is best). During the last three days and through hatching, I have the humidity at 60-70%. This has worked well for me, producing several 100% hatches.

Another question. The eggs I am using are from my pullets and some are a bit smaller then the others, but not fairy eggs.

Can I still hatch these?
Yes, you can. However, it is usually better to hatch eggs when they get a little larger, after pullets have laid for a while. Smaller eggs will hatch smaller chicks, which sometimes have more trouble. With that said, I've hatched pullet eggs before, with good results.

They've been laying for awhile
fl.gif
I gonna cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom