How long to get back into lay?

yallapilko

Songster
7 Years
Nov 13, 2012
Hi, I got three quail from a friend, and they are not laying eggs. I think this is because they had begun to reduce output with the change in light cycle, and maybe because of the move too. Will they get back into laying eggs soon? Or will it be months? I was hoping to get some eggs shortly!

Quail don't like to be moved to a new home. The stress will clamp off the eggs for sometime. Anywhere from a couple weeks to a month. Keep these new quail in a very quiet area, you might add some fake foliage to their area to give them hidy places and keep them calm. Keep the loud noises down and no predators at night. The quieter you keep them, the quicker they will get back to laying.

Thanks TwoCrows. Great information.We added some foliage last week and they instantly seemed happier. I've a nice quiet spot for them away from any hassle. Hopefully I'll get some nice eggs soon. Actually, they seem happier as the days go by and seem to be getting used to the change.

The more comfortable they become, the closer they are to getting back to laying. Hope you start to see those eggs soon!!!

Thanks TwoCrows. I just looked in on them and they are looking so much happier than say a week ago. I made them a treat bowl, with lettuce, mixed seed and meal worms and they were tucking into that. Bring on those eggs!

Some foliage and a quiet spot does wonders for the mental state of quail. Great to hear! Keep us posted as to when you see that first eggggggggggg!!

Yay! My first egg today! I has taken nearly four weeks for them to get back into lay. When I cleaned them out, they had moulted . And when I first got them , they just stood there looking sad. But now they are acting like normal quail. At first they wouldn't eat any vegetable treats, but a couple of days ago, they started eating them. They seem so much healthier too. And the eggs are a great bonus of course!

Back
Top Bottom