Unknown Disease of baby Chicken

fahad71c

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Guys I have a brahma chick 6 weeks old but his feathers started to fall away and today I found an unusual swelling on his back

Please please help me I want him fine and healthy
though he is eating walking and drinking ok
but whenever someone try touch his swollen area he shouted alot

and one more thing this chick has been living alone separated from the peck of chickens because if I let him with them they started picking on him

Please help me find the remedy I am very worried

I am talking about the bulging gut

Sorry for asking what probably seemed like a pointless question, I couldn't see well enough in the pic to be sure, and sometimes people think the elbows are swellings. Always hard to guesstimate how much someone knows, hard to answer comprehensively without being potentially accidentally offensive by explaining things people already know.

It could be a few things, hard to guesstimate. Obviously fluid buildup from something, I doubt that's a tumor, though they're not too uncommon. Could be Ascites, worth looking into that, but really if a chick that age has it I doubt it'd live long. Some people manage to treat it for years, but, it's a bit of a distressing disease to battle, from the sounds of it, without a good success ratio of cures. Just management.

It's possible something was ruptured internally when he was attacked, in which case survival is also unlikely when there's such a massive swelling.

The situation doesn't look good, but it's truly impossible to say. If he isn't attacked any more and is left somewhere safe, warm, where he can eat and drink, and if he shows inclination to continue eating and drinking, it's possible he'll pull through. Freshly minced raw garlic is a great natural wide spectrum antibiotic that won't harm his gut microflora etc, but it's quite powerful; if there is any internal infection this will help.

Best wishes.

Sorry for asking what probably seemed like a pointless question, I couldn't see well enough in the pic to be sure, and sometimes people think the elbows are swellings. Always hard to guesstimate how much someone knows, hard to answer comprehensively without being potentially accidentally offensive by explaining things people already know.

It could be a few things, hard to guesstimate. Obviously fluid buildup from something, I doubt that's a tumor, though they're not too uncommon. Could be Ascites, worth looking into that, but really if a chick that age has it I doubt it'd live long. Some people manage to treat it for years, but, it's a bit of a distressing disease to battle, from the sounds of it, without a good success ratio of cures. Just management.

It's possible something was ruptured internally when he was attacked, in which case survival is also unlikely when there's such a massive swelling.

The situation doesn't look good, but it's truly impossible to say. If he isn't attacked any more and is left somewhere safe, warm, where he can eat and drink, and if he shows inclination to continue eating and drinking, it's possible he'll pull through. Freshly minced raw garlic is a great natural wide spectrum antibiotic that won't harm his gut microflora etc, but it's quite powerful; if there is any internal infection this will help.

Best wishes.

Spot on mate again
I took my chick to someone near my home who already have an excellent experience in chickens raising
he did the same injected some spirit (very very little) in the gut of the chick. and asked me did I put it with my full grown I said yeah I did
he asked me to put it in some separate cage
I did it though today is the third day chick is eating walking as normal and the swelling also have decreased to many extent
I will post of a pic of him soon

Thanks again chooks4life
You are a genius with chickens :D

Best wishes.

Here is a picture of him as of today

you can see on the right side that the swelling on the gut has disappeared to large extent
I am so much happy that the brahma is now looking well and healthy
hope he will remain like this as externally he is recovering a lot but internally lets hope for the best

It's good you have someone with experience you can visit for help.

It's very hopeful that he's still alive, I would think that if he was going to die of this then he probably would have already done so. He's not out of the woods yet but obviously he's not a total goner.

Hope things go well for you and your chooks. :)

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom