Is it aggression?

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
My faverolle hen is raising three ducklings. She never went broody but is very docile. When the rest of the flock wouldn't let her eat I had to separate her so she could put some weight back on. The ducklings hatched in the incubator a couple days later and my sweet hen decided they were hers.
That was over a week ago. Now that the ducklings are bigger and sturdier I let them and the hen into the yard for short supervised periods to forage.

The duck who laid the eggs has been incessantly chasing the ducklings. She doesn't snap at them, just follow them where ever they go. She even coaxed one of the ducklings into the pool. (Which had to be rescued because it couldn't get back out.) Is she being aggressive or does she want the ducklings to bond with and follow her?

The duck is probably being aggressive, which is normal. She doesn't know that they're her ducklings. Ducks that I've seen "steal" ducklings from other mothers do so by "sweet talking" the babies into following her. She will make soft little clucks and swim/walk around nearby until the ducklings follow her. If she is following them, she is being aggressive and could hurt them.

Back
Top Bottom